Windows XP Pro SP3. The task bar at the bottom of my desktop has always been a single horizontal bar with icons for Launch Internet Explorer, Launch Microsoft Outlook, Volume, etc.
Tonight I did something that changed the single row of icons to a double row. The usual icons are on the upper row and directly under this is a 2nd row with the items from the desktop. For example, My Computer, My Documents, Recycle Bin, etc. Each of these is spelled out, with a small icon to the left of each.
How can I get rid of that 2nd row? I don't need these items on the desktop and in the taskbar too.
Glad you found the answer, there are many simple issues that can be found and fixed with a quick search, and as you have found it can be much faster than awaiting a reply, but 13 minutes would of been pure luck to have someone on the site who had an answer to reply lol, anyway as you have found, you hover the cursor over the top edge on the bar, and when it changes, click and drag the bar, this is true of any of the OS's AFAIK.
But as your probably aware support for xp by m$ is ended, so from a security point of view you would be safer upgrading to a newer OS, Windows 7 is great, best OS in a long time from m$, Windows 8\8.1 got off to a bad start, and is a serious learning curve, but once you get used to using the corners to access various menu's\options, it's not that bad, and is also pretty stable, I would say just as stable as Windows 7 personally, but there will always be exceptions due to hardware differences etc., but sp2 is coming soon for Windows 8.1 from what I have seen, so it would be worth waiting until that comes included, past history suggests it works better that way than added as an extra after the OS install is done, anyway glad your sorted.
FTR - I have always preferred the double height row - even with Windows 8. This is because I always enable the QuickLaunch toolbar in the taskbar, as well as the Address bar. The other thing I like with the double height toolbar, the day of the week is included with the date and time on the clock display.
In terms of security and XP, I agree 100% with 8210GUY. XP needs to go away! Not just for your own safety, but for the safety of other Internet users as compromised XP systems are typically used by badguys to distribute spam or malware, or as zombies in a bot army conducting DDoS attacks on sites - all without the XP user even being aware their system has been compromised.
That said, I am not a fan of filling landfills with old XP systems so I recommend repurposing this system as a NAS (network attached storage) device as a backup location for your other systems. Just ensure the XP device is blocked in your router from Internet access.
Finally, if the complaint with Windows 8/8.1 is primarily the Windows 8 "metro" style Start Page and user interface (UI), then I recommend you check out Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the Windows 8 "Start Screen" that so many people dislike. Then W8 works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but it is well worth it IMO. And, even at just $5, it has the "polished feel" I expect from a paid product that may not be seen in some free alternatives.
There is also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too. However, it has extra features and goodies that some (including myself) feel is unneeded "fluff". That said, it works very well so a few rough edges can easily be overlooked.
StartIsBack and Pokki are two more popular start screen alternatives. StartIsBack is not free, but pretty close at $3. However, like Classic Shell, it has extra features and user options many users don't need.
While the UI with W8 can be a bit of a learning curve, it should not dissuade any user from going with W8, especially with the above mentioned Start8 and alternatives. W7 was, and still is a great OS, but if buying or building a new computer, or if upgrading an old computer with a new motherboard, get W8.1. Remember, Windows 7 is already nearly 5 years old! Windows 8 offers better performance than W7 with modern motherboards, and W8 is more secure than W7 - reason enough to go with W8.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI