This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 unable to find files on DVD

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I was attempting to download drivers for my Dell Inspirion PC. Appearently, Dell now has a feature that allows users to download drivers as an ISO image, which was the path I took. After the download, I burned the image using Roxio Creator Starter that comes with my Dell PC, and everything seemed to went well. However, when I try to run any of the installation drivers, Windows prompts me with an error stating: "Windows was unable to find bla-bla-bla file. Make sure that you have typed in the name correctly and try again." Also, if you look at the files in Explorer, all the file names start with foreward slash, ->("/"), which I think is the root cause of it, but I do not understand why it did this way. Did I do something wrong? Is Roxio Burn to image something different that what I should of used, such as maybe IMGBurn? If you need to see the files please let me know.

I take it that this category is not so popular as oppose to the others from whatthetech. I wonder if I should be asking my question in a different category, or is this the best spot to ask?

excuse my posting back to back, but I just found a website, where a user had posted that the "/" is an invalid character in Windows. However, I am wondering what could of caused this? The ISO download came from dell, and I used the burning software that came with my Dell PC to burn the image.

Did not know Dell was providing .iso downloads, will have to check that out.

 

For now, download the individual drivers you need.

 

Can you post a link to the Dell web page you are downloading from please?

 

Edit:  Just looked and I don't see anywhere a iso is offered on the Dell site.

Ztruker, I would not be able to provide the link because the download is to per my account, which includes the service tag to my model specifically. However, if you do own a Dell computer, and entered your service tag, it should provide you a way to access the driver downloads. Now, unless it is only pertaining to the Dell Inspiron Computers, after adding your downloads to the download cart, at the bottom of the page, it gives you an option to download the list as separate exe files or download and have Dell pack it into one ISO file. As for your workaround, I guess that is the best solution for now, but to me, this sounds like a way of Dell trying to make customers pay for technical support for something that is clearly at there own fault.

Hi BnTheMan, Its always helpful to post details of your computer (Exact make and model number of your Dell Inspiron.etc,as there are many versions) and the type of Win 7 operating system you are using…32bit, 64 bit…

 

Please also tell us which driver you are trying to install and what the symptoms are with the current driver you are using?

 

Any reason you are not using the download in .exe format ?

 

The driver downloads are almost always free from Dell so if the site you have been on is asking for money then its possible that something is  verywrong!

Post back with the full details and one of us will try and assist.

Regards

paws

Okay, thanks for the info. I see where the iso comes in now.

 

I never use the Add to downloads feature of the Dell web site. Tried it once and it didn't work right. I now always download files one at a time. No iso file generated or needed. I create a folder named after the computer, e.g. Dell Dimension 8200 then create sub folders for each of the device drivers I download, like Video, Audio, VGA, Network, Wireless, etc.

 

Try doing it that way perhaps?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI