This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Update Problems

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Two years ago, I had to re-install Windows 98 SE on my Dell. My CD drive wasn’t playing DVD’s, and, while I knew it was a hardware problem (and was proven correct later on), Dell Tech Support decided it was a Windows software problem and talked me through most of the re-install process.

The machine hasn’t worked the same since then. Programs (like the software bundled with my CD Burner) that worked perfectly well beforehand would no longer load up (I’d get error messages like “Could not generate engine”). Photos, jpegs, and art files would no longer thumbnail preview in Explorer (despite the fact that the option for them to do so was enabled). And Windows Update would always fail at the start of installation.

It’s this last problem I need to correct right now. McAfee VirusScan says that it can’t install its latest update, because I need Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (I’ve got 5.0).

I tried downloading the IE 6 SP update (the one for non-XP users) from both Microsoft and Major Geeks, and the same thing happens each time: the components download with no problems (and no interruptions), but 4 % of the way into the installation, I get a “Setup was unable to load update components”. It says to re-boot and try the installation again, but it just does the same thing over and over again. I get the same result when I try to install it in Safe Mode.

Ordinarily, I’d just delete the downloaded files and disable the “Resume Setup” option in MSCONFIG. I don’t even use Internet Explorer to go online: I use AOL 8, so updating was never a priority. But now, I really need for this to work, or else VirusScan is going to be useless.

Anyone out there have any ideas on what I need to do to fix this? I’m sure this isn’t a spyware / virus / trojan problem because 1) I’ve been having this problem since the re-install, and 2) because I've double checked with all of the diagnostic programs this site has recommended, and have found no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Since you've been having problems from the point when you last installed Windows, logically, one would think it was a bad install. Can you remember if the Tech had you foramt the drive first or did you just reinstall Windows over top of the previous installation? Regardless though, you may want to try to reinstall Windows again as a bad /incomplete install is the most likely case.

Alternately, it may be a RAM issue. You may wish to download MemTest. It's free and will let you know whether or not you have some bad ram blocks. The program must be run from a bootable floppy or CD. Be sure to visit the installation instructions link.

Hope this helps!

Since you've been having problems from the point when you last installed Windows, logically, one would think it was a bad install. Can you remember if the Tech had you foramt the drive first or did you just reinstall Windows over top of the previous installation? Regardless though, you may want to try to reinstall Windows again as a bad /incomplete install is the most likely case.

Alternately, it may be a RAM issue. You may wish to download MemTest. It's free and will let you know whether or not you have some bad ram blocks.  The program must be run from a bootable floppy or CD. Be sure to visit the installation instructions link.

Hope this helps!

148977



Thanks for the response. I think they had me format the drive first, but I can't remember. I'll try to Memtest thing and see what happens. I don't have the first clue how to re-install Windows on my own, though…

Put the floppy in the floppy drive… reboot your computer.

The computer should boot from the floppy.

149031


It doesn't do that. It reboots Windows.
Hmmm… ok.

You're positive you followed the install instructions to build the bootable floppy?

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.


If you did this correctly it should boot from the floppy.

Unless… your system is configured to boot from the Hard Drive first. You may have to go into your BIOS and check the boot sequence for the computer. As I don't know what kind of BIOS your computer has… I'm unsure as to where in it the setting will be. You will have to find and change it for yourself(if it needs it). Most systems let you into the BIOS(or Setup) if you tap the delete button upon rebooting. Some are different. It should tell you what to hit to enter the Setup.

Once inside the BIOS, You will have to look for the Boot Sequence setting. If the floppy drive isn't at the top of the list, move it so it is, save the changes, and exit the BIOS. Computer will reboot and should boot from the floppy first.

Hope this helps.
Okay, I got it to work! It ran for over two hours, made 9 different test sweeps, but found no errors. Looks like I'm gonna have to re-install Windows, huh? :wall: Do you know of any websites that list step-by-step instructions about how to do this?
Hey! It took a while, but I did the Windows re-install, and I'm nearly finished putting my stuff back on the machine. All of the critical updates and files installed with no problems, and the VirusScan updates are loading in like they're supposed to. Thanks for all of your help, 'KotaGuy! :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI