This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Oxc000021a error

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Here's a way to copy (not move) files from hard drive to removable device like a memory stick or external hard drive. 

 

1 Open a window showing the "source" for the files you want to copy (the hard drive location) and resize the window so it fits in less than half of your screen 

 

2 Open another window showing the "destination" where you want to copy the files to…… and resize the window so it fits in the other half of the screen.

 

3 With the two windows open (side by side) drag and drop the files you need from the source, to the destination.

 

4 If copying,  whole directories (folders) then only copy one directory at a time (other wise you could give Puppy indigestion! )

 

Regards

paws

Good morning, I've followed your instructions and have successfully copied to my external the files I wanted to save. I'll now go back in this thread to run chkdsk again to see if I can repair this problem. Will let you know how it goes.

So I've used puppy, ran chkdsk /r on the d: drive and it did not find any problems. I've saved all files that I wanted to save and am ready for the next step. Pc still does not run so do I reinstall windows 8? Thanks for your time.

Ok that's good to hear that all your files are safe on removable media… :thumbup:

It sounds like you and Puppy did a good job.

 

The first step we will take, should not affect the data files on your computer (music, photos,  documents etc, but it's still a wise move that you have copies of all your important stuff.( cant be too careful…!

 

Take a look here:

http://tips4pc.com/windows-8/windows-8-will-not-boot.htm

 

this will take you through the steps that you can take to Refresh your computer, (don't perform a Reset at this stage… it may come to that in the future, but for this next step just try and do the Refresh

Let us know how you get on

Regards

paws

Ok we seem to be running out of options on this one…..

Before you go for the reset (that clears everything on your computer and then installs a fresh copy of windows (you will need to reinstall all your programmes, data files etc) can you confirm please that you have a note of your Windows Serial key  and that you have Windows 8 either on USB memory stick or on a bootable DVD. as this will be needed if you go for the Reset

Regards

paws

I do have a bootable DVD of windows 8 both for 32bit and 64bit. So I agree that we have tried all of the steps you've suggested so let me know what you think. The two numbers I have are:

W8 - 3ZR = 00088 and WO - 513538532-0214

Thanks.

Ok,

The product serial key that I was asking you to check is usually in the form of a 25 character alpha-numeric with 5 groups of 5, it should look something like this;

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

 

( don't post your key on the forum here (too many bad folks around on the Internet these days!)

but just make sure you have the valid key….. and then as long as you are happy with your back ups you can go for the Reset

 

Be advised that this will remove all your personal stuff, files applications settings documents etc and will remove Windows itself and then reinstall a new copy…

 

Let us know how things go

Regards

paws

Must of hit a key…

there was a problem resetting your pc

So what is happening? Would the next step be to reinstall windows 8? (if it allows me too!)
Yes as long as you have your Windows 8, 25 character alpha numeric product key and your Win 8 installation disc then providing you are happy with your back up ( kept on removable media) then a complete format and install of Windows would be a logical nest step.
Good luck
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI