So yesterday my wife attempted to update her windows 8 os and when it was done the pc would not boot up normally. It says we have errors and when automatic repair is used it cannot do the job. I gives us this log file: D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. I'm able to read this and it gives me error codes 0x0 for target OS test, volume content check, boot mngr diag, sys boot log diag, event log diag, internal state check, then ends with root cause found:
startup repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.
I'm able to get to a command prompt which I believe will help me get into the computer to change things, but, I do not have the knowledge base to know what to change. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
if you can get to a command prompt Ok, it would be worthwhile as a first step to try and set back your computer by a few days (using a system restore Point) to before the last set of updates that seem to have caused the problems.(this should not interfere with your data files, documents etc)
The command you need is:
rstrui.exe
and press the Enter Key
follow on screen directions to select the appropriate restore point….. Do not allow the computer to run out of electricity during the system restore process….
if you need detailed instructions on any of this then take a look here:
Thank you for the quick reply. I've tried your suggestion and get to this point: I have a restore point picked and system restore will not allow me to go forward, the "next|" button is not highlighted allowing me to use it. The status says: you must enable system protection on this drive. I cannot go forward. Now what?
From the command prompt run chkdsk with the r switch, the command is:
chkdsk /r
( note the space ,it needs to be there) press the enter key…. the drive will probably be locked so click y press enter,and close down and retsart your machine. The chkdsk may take several hours, do not interrupt it once it starts, it will try and restart your computer when its done.
I hope you have a good copy (Back up) of everything that is important to you (stuff you wouldn't want to lose permanently) and you have at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media…
Here's the next steps:
open an elevated command prompt and use the following :.
diskpart
list volume
select volume X (where X is the write protected drive with the issues)
attributes volume clear readonly
Try chkdsk /r again and see if it will run (you may need to close down and then restart your computer…. if it runs Ok then leave it to finish (may take several hours!) don't interrupt it or allow the computer to run out of electricity whilst chkdsk is running…
I do not have any copies or backups of my docs or music files on the pc. Any way of retrieving these before I continue on and possibly have to wipe everything off?
I have yet to try opening as the administrator and will keep you posted on that.
was this version of Windows pre installed on a new computer within the last 18 months or so or did you have a previous version of windows on it? ( XP, Vista 7 etc)
Can you get into the BIOS and set the boot priority to Optical drive or USB as prioity 1? if you can then set it to optical drive (CD/DVD) as boot priority 1 and then hard drive as next priority 2… save the changes and exit with a live distro of linux ( Puppy is good) in the CD tray…. if your computer will boot into Puppy then you will be able to remedy any holes in your back ups by copying any missing files to a memory stick or external hard drive.
Post back if you need further info on using Puppy etc.,
So PAWS, how do I get a hold of this "puppy" boot disc?
This is for Ztruker: x:\windows\system32> is what is displayed on my command prompt. And before I run the chkdsk command I want to ensure that I save the photo files and music files my wife currently has on her harddrive.
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
Start the computer/press the power button
Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
Press F10 to save and exit
Agree with "Y" to continue
Your computer will restart and boot from the PuppyLinux Live CD
[external image: 4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png]
3. Recover Your Data
Once PuppyLinux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.
3a. Mount Drives
Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. [external image: 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG]
A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For folks inexperienced with Linux Puppy: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.
Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.
YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!
Thanks for puppy PAWS. At step 3 mounting drives I've mounted sda3ntfs 442.2G 359.4G free which I believe is my drive (mine is a 500G harddrive.) Now at:
USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. (don't know where this usbdrv tab is?)
If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now. (going to use a data stick? or should I use my external because it will have the space to store the recovered files? )
talk to you tomorrow after 7pm my time, mountain time.
Had to try your suggestions so when I've opened up my usb on puppy (icon besides the sda1, sda2, etc…) I cannot move the files from my wife's old harddrive to the usb stick. I get this message:
Moving /mnt/sad3/Documents and Settings/xxxxxxx's computer/My DocumentsMy Music ad /mnt/sdd/My Music
mv: cannot create symbolic link '/mnt/sda3/Documents and Settings/xxxxxxx's computer/My DocumentsMy Music as /mnt/sdd/My Music
Done
There was and error
What am I doing wrong? ———— tomorrow
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI