This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

finalize a disc

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Win 8.1 x64 and want a burner that can both finalize and not finalize a disc.

Ashampoo just wrote me b/c I told them there is a box to finalize but when unchecked it still finalizes the disc. They sent back a lengthy workaround.

 

I looked at ImgBurn and did not see the choice - did I miss something.

Finally when is it a good idea to finalize or not. I know of some circumstances but would like to know more.

When you read about it on the web, it becomes very confusing.

Thank you

to be honest peter all programs finalising/close a disc or not and i think is usually done automatically depending on how you chose to burn something to the disc.
 
for example if you burn an image, in my experience the disc always gets finalised.
 
finalising is done so you can then use/play the disc on another device, usually it's only video/music discs that will need the disc to be finalised/closed before another device will play it.
 

Finalizing (also spelled finalising) an optical disc is the process of writing out support data such as DVD menus, directory data, and the like to an optical disc in order to make it playable on a system other than the one it was recorded on. As a general rule, finalization means that the disc cannot have any more data written to it. It is the last step in the DVD authoring process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finalize_(optical_discs)
 
:popcorn:
 
this might explain things better than i did.


Do I need to close the disc session or finalize my disc when I'm done burning?

Not necessarily. Closing a disc session makes the disc compatible with other computers and some consumer electronic devices, such as a CD or DVD player. However, not all discs need to be closed. You only need to close CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs. Rewritable discs (which end in RW) don't need to be closed, but they might not work in regular CD or DVD players either. In addition to this, discs that haven't been closed can still be used in other disc burners. However, they can't be used in most CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or BD-ROM drives.
Some programs might offer to finalize your disc instead of closing the current session. A disc that has been finalized is complete. You can open files from the disc, but you can't add more files or save changes to existing files on the disc. When you burn a CD or DVD using Windows Explorer, the disc is not finalized. You can add more files later on as long as you have space on the disc. Some CD or DVD players can't play a CD or DVD that hasn't been finalized. This capability varies by the make and model of the CD or DVD player.
Mastered discs don't need to be closed because they are in a closed session already, which makes them compatible with other computers. Therefore, you will never see an option to close a session when burning a Mastered disc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disc-burning-faq#1TC=windows-7

Lord, you certainly answered that. One would think I am paying you. :clap:

First, that this process might be automatic would simply it. Secondly, there are some discs I think you cannot have both ways with. You may wish to keep it open to amend it yet no one you want to read it would be able to do so it until closed.

There seem to be many circumstances and each requires a different choice. I am keeping your information in a folder to read again and cannot thank you enough for you continued support. I am getting embarrassed writing to the forum. Believe me I do as  much research on reach topic that I can do.

If I stared all over I would be a Linux person - thanks again.  Peter

 

PS I wanted you to know that I explained my plight to Ashampoo and they said that the finalizing box was not working properly. If I clicked it to finalise it should have and the other way around. They have suggested such a trail of work to remedy this that I think I might learn ImgBurn. I thought the s and z were interchangeable per a language trait, now I know better.

that's what everyone here tries to do, help, [image unavailable: xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png]

always nice to hear i do sometimes help people tho.[image unavailable: rofl.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9–Zv.gif]

so the thanks are gratefully and graciously accepted. :thumbup:

 

from my understanding img burn is out of favour at the moment because of the extra's it packages that people don't want or need. the program is still a good one and you can choose to not install the extras but that choice is easily overlooked by many.

you might want to look into this one :- http://cdburnerxp.se/

must admit tho i don't know if that one may also be bundled with extras too and don't have a windows pc to test on.

 

so whenever installing any software always read the installer instructions and never use the defaults if there is an advanced option because sometimes the extras only show up there that need to be unchecked.

 

:popcorn:

that's what everyone here tries to do, help, [image unavailable: xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png]

always nice to hear i do sometimes help people tho.[image unavailable: rofl.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9–Zv.gif]

so the thanks are gratefully and graciously accepted. :thumbup:

 

from my understanding img burn is out of favour at the moment because of the extra's it packages that people don't want or need. the program is still a good one and you can choose to not install the extras but that choice is easily overlooked by many.

you might want to look into this one :- http://cdburnerxp.se/

must admit tho i don't know if that one may also be bundled with extras too and don't have a windows pc to test on.

 

so whenever installing any software always read the installer instructions and never use the defaults if there is an advanced option because sometimes the extras only show up there that need to be unchecked.

 

:popcorn:

 

 

Hi Peter and terry. I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in on this topic. I just wanted to say that you are right Peter, terry is always very helpful. He's helped me out a lot here when I needed it. :)

 

I also second his advice about using cdburnerxp for your burning needs. I've used it for a few years now and I've had no problems at all. I've also used IMGburn myself, but I prefer cdburner's interface as being easier to use for a person like myself that isn't very technical at all. I also agree with his advice about always checking when a software has the advanced option. IMHO this is always just a way for them to try and get possible bloat/mal/spy/whateverware past a prospective user. Another tip I would give people is to always try to bypass getting installers from places like download.com or the like and go directly to the source site for your software packages. The source site may still have bundled software added in, but from my experience those 3rd party places always have bundled adware which will deceive you into installing software you don't want or need on your comp. One thing I've seen to deceive potential users is when you don't notice that they grey out the decline button and make the accept button a bright color. If you are going thru the install fast then you might not notice that you accepted an offer to install adware. 

 

I hope this helps some other members.  ;)

@leader2

cdburnerxp was suggested to me a long time ago and I loved it but it had trouble with my Flip camera's MP4 video files so I chose Ashampoo.

The specific issue with Ashampoo, which could not be easier, is that I did not check the box to finalize, yet is said it was finalizing as it was burning. I am trying to get the company to explain which is hard.

It is either that Ashampoo finalizes by default as I was once told or that its software thought it best to finalize an iso file or again it could be faulty software.

They have recommended that I install the ver 12 instead of 6 without telling me if I should uninstall 6 1st.

 Then there is a link to download if trouble persists to cleanup Ashampoo and install a program from which I could work on the program.

 

I do not think this is the route for a low level user. I will determine the cause to the best of my ability but am not sure what to do as this point.

Thank you for joining

Peter

Ashampoo just confirmed that an iso will be finalized while a data file for example can be finalized or not by using the check box.

:clap:

Sorry for my late reply Peter and Terry. Thanks for the compliment Terry. :wub: After my bad experiences with some sites like download.com I try to go directly to the source, but bloatware is so frequent now that every user can always be advised to look out for those so called advanced options and default settings designed to mislead users. I am happy to say I haven't seen any installers on File Hippo or I think File Horse  :clap:  :thumbup:  … yet   :unsure:  :oops: 

 

I am glad your problem was fixed by using Ashampoo Peter. :) I wonder if maybe (I hope I am saying this right since I don't know all the computer lingo like Terry does  :blush: ) the codecs in the file were different because they from a video on your camera. I never had any issues with cdburnerxp, but then again I never used a video like one on your camera so maybe it was something within the file that cdburner wasn't able to convert properly. It's good that there are alternatives out there. When DVD flick had issues I was able to get a discount on ConvertXtoDVD and it's worked great for me ever since.  ;) 

I have been using Ashampoo ver 6 for ages. It could be the camera and I really don't know about codecs etc. I know that I tried a few programs but they did not do the job. I read about them first and most, then, mentioned MP3 but not MP4.

It is easy for low level users like myself and seems to do everything I need  like burn audio/visual, iso files, erase and copy.

They even respond when you have a question - and I have the free version. There are later versions out there but have strings attached, at least back when I was looking around. I have never used a more simple program that gives steady results, quickly.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI