Hello
I made some movies which I burned to dvds. I did not know I was supposed to finalize them.
Is there a way to finalize these finished dvds?
Thank you
Peter
4 min read
Hello
I made some movies which I burned to dvds. I did not know I was supposed to finalize them.
Is there a way to finalize these finished dvds?
Thank you
Peter
Not 100% here, but a quick search found This, but depending on what you used to burn them that may have a way more fitting as it will be using the same software as the burn, so logically less chance of anything going wrong, but give this a go, and if it doesn't work let us know what you used to burn with originally, and we can try and find something else using that.
Hi
I think we met in DIY but yes I saw the link and thank you. Can I mention the name of the burner on the forum?
If so, I will be back with it
Peter
Hi
I think we met in DIY
I don't see why you can't mention the software, in this context it's not being promoted or anything for personal gain or the like, but I have no say over such issues as it's those upon high who have the ultimate final word, but that said I've been around long enough to struggle as to why it would be a problem in this situation.
Hi 8210GUY
Ok, the program I use is Ashampoo ver. 6. It really is good. Someone told me I could drag the files from a dvd and put them in a folder. Then try to finalize the disc.
I may make a copy of one of the dvds then use that to see if I can finalize it as that sounds easier.
Ashampoo said most pc will play the dvds even if not finalized but I think they play better if they are done right.
Peter
I haven't used that for so long now I have no idea of it's options, but have you tried launching it with the disk in, then find the disk in the programs page, then just look to see if there is a Finalise button, if there is just click that and you should be sorted.
I did see another suggestion though, go into your My Computer, right click on the DVD drive with the disk in it, and see if there is a Close Session option, if there is, click it and you should be sorted.
Although many systems will read an un-finalised disk, not all can, I've had problems in the past with that, but the main time it comes into it's own, is when you go to p[lay it on other devices, most just won't work, that's what I recall anyway, someone may know more current info given the hardware has moved on so much since I last heard this, but hopefully something here will help.
Hi 8210
I am not familiar with the terms but I guess sorted means closed. I don't know if that is the same as finalized. Someone told me finalizing does something good to the disc besides closing it but I don't really know what it is. It had to do with compatibility may be so I could have better luck playing on another pc.
I think I will try your idea. If I need to, I will make a copy of a dvd and play with the copy maybe putting files in a folder, trying to find finalize etc.
Thank a lot
Peter
Hi, yeah when I say sorted it means it should be the solution if it works, and Closing the disk is the same as Finalising it, that's what I understand from it anyway, but you should be able to finalise as a part of burning such a disk, last time I did such a thing, the wizard started with the type of burn you want, and as long as it's not a multi session burn, it either finalises itself, or has a clear option to select finalising.
I don't know what they mean by something good, but as I said above, many systems will read a disk without it being finalised, but there are some systems that won't, the biggest reason for finalising a disk is so that it can be played in the most possible devices\players on the market, such players probably won't be able to read\play it without this being done, that's the only reason for it really that I know of.
If you still can't get it to work, or are unsure of how to do this as part of the original burn, to avoid this scenario again, just let me know, and I will download it and have a play, then I will be able to guide more specifically for you if it helps.
Thank you very much for all of your advice. I will now experiment and see what happens. hope to report back with good news.
Peter
Hello
I just wanted to finish what I began as I have the answer, finally.
The company wrote back to tell me that all dvds are atomatically finalized. When making my last dvd I noiciced it was finalizing as one of the steps.
Peter
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI