Hello all,
 
I looking for a solution to an issue.
 
I have 2 NAS drives on my local LAN plus 3 computers.   I have tried my best to get Windows 8.1 to remember mapped drives.

  • If I map a drive through Explorer, then the desktop applications do not see  them at all.
  • if I map a drive through the desktop, i.e. Command Prompt using net use or through a program called Altap Salamander or other desktop applications that map drives than Explorer will have one mapping and command prompt will have another.   i.e. drive z: may be mapped to \\george-backup\backup from command prompt all desktop applications see the drive as mapped as such however those running in Metro such as Explorer may have drive z: mapped to \\172.16.0.12\memory card (a valid drive on my networked printer) which I cannot access as Explorer reports that it is a bad network however if I navigate from Explorer using \\172.16.0.12\memory card everything connects,   If I try to access the z: from metro that is mapped to the memory card only from Metro Apps, I can but it never shows up on the desktop.
  • If I do a "net use" command from a command prompt after the system reboots all mapped drives are gone even though I have used /PERSISTENT:YES  on the mapping

    i.e. NET USE Z: \\GEORGE-BACKUP\BACKUP /PERSISTENT:YES

    I get the command completed successfully.

What gives?   How do I make drive mappings permanent from one reboot to next.   How do I tell Metro Apps to forget drive mappings and used those from the desktop?   I delete them manually everytime I boot so that I can run the batch file and Metro apps see the right drive mappings.  I tried to use a batch file to recreate them and that didn't work.  Batch filed works fine when run manually but cannot delete those mappings set in Metro.    This is frusrating the fire out of me.   Can some help?

 

Thank you in advance,

George