If I replace the processor and motherboard on my computer, would it effect the validity of the operating system in any way? Would I have to buy another licence? I am running Windows 8.1 on a computer with an Intel G630 processor and an H61 Motherboard and am thinking of replacing just the processor and motherboard with something much faster.
Hi MikeSA, I think it depends on the license you have…. If win 8x came preinstalled ( an OEM version) then the licence is generally restricted to the original computer , and in this case the mobo must be the same make and model ….. if you fit a faster or more efficient mobo then its generally considered to be a different computer, and so the OEM win 8x operating system would not be correctly licenced……
This always used to be the position with earlier Windows operating systems and I think it also applies so Win 8x HOWEVER I've never read the actual licence for a Win 8 installation( shame on me!) so I could be wrong!
In the past I have occasionally been able to get Microsoft to agree to a replacement mobo of a slightly different model ( of the same make( being OK licensewise when I have certified (as a repair shop) that the original mobo failed due to electromechanical failure and that the replacement mobo was the nearest "fit" available…. however this is not an easy task.
If you have a full retail version of Win8x then there should generally be no problem.