Hello
I have itemized some of my stastics because I want to undertsand the most reasonable way to obtain Win 8.
I think I go to the store and buy it but what about driivers and any other issues I may need to be concerned about.
Do I have to call MS?
What is it retailing for?
Is this a good time to do it or is there an advantage to waiting?
I have 2 similar pcs so do I buy 2 discs?
Would you agree my pc has the equiptment to handle Windows 8 -that was my intention when I bought the pc.
My other pc has even more spce at 1T.
Thank you
Peter
Windows 8 is not available yet. When it is you can get it in the same ways you got Windows 7.
Drivers will probably not be an issue as it, like Windows 7, will be about as driver complete as you can get.
If you do have a device that needs a driver, the Windows 7 driver will work perfectly.
You will need to purchase one license for each machine but I would strongly recommend against moving to Windows 8. The new Metro interface is horrible unless you have a touch screen or really, really, really love your cell-phone and want the same interface on your computer.
The Windows 8 Release Preview is still available if you want to download the iso image and install it on one of your computers. Make sure your Windows 7 image backup is current before doing so. You can install it as a dual boot so both Win 7 and Win 8 are available which is what I've done.
I am not ready to say that - yet. I never moved to Vista from XP, instead waiting for Windows7 - with no regrets. So I have no qualms with doing that again. But I am not ready to put the last nail in W8's coffin yet - not when the new desktop UI is my biggest irritant. Part of the reason I did not migrate to Vista was the Desktop UI. That did not change much in W7 and was quite an adjustment coming from so many years with XP. But now, when I pull up an XP machine, it seems so archaic. Of course the other part for not moving to Vista were all the other reasons - driver support not the least. As Rich noted, that will not be an issue with W8.
And I am not dead - yet. So they are not getting my FULL SIZE keyboard and mouse from hands yet either! And there are just too many keyboard junkies (and multi- and big monitor) users like me for MS to ignore. I am not ready to buy a touch table.
Touch monitors, tiny tablets and cell phone screens? Ergonomics was not just a buzzword.
I think I will stick with Win 7 for now;I have been happy with it. It does what I want and it will be supported for some time to come -I hope..
I will check in again to see how you like Win 8, given time.
What is supplanting the pc, smart phones?
Tthank you for the information.
Peter