This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 8 - Can I upgrade BIOS without loosing embedded product-key?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

On machines with Windows 8 pre-installed, the product-key is embedded in Bios. So… what happens with the product-key if I upgrade Bios? Can I be sure I don't loose the product-key?
W8 is already installed so go ahead and try it. The upgraded bios should either work or not allow you to upgrade it. If the bios does allow an upgrade you might loose the embedded keycode though, but you have that with your Microsoft W8 disk. If something goes pear-shaped later in your operating system, just re-install W8 with your keycode or use the recovery utility stored in the hidden recovery partition :)

On machines with Windows 8 pre-installed, the product-key is embedded in Bios.

Not always. In fact, if it is, that means the computer builder modified the BIOS and in that case, I would urge you to get the BIOS update from the computer maker and NOT the motherboard or BIOS maker.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI