This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Nexus 7 & Bluetooth Speakers

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Nexus 7 tablet and I want to connect multiple bluetooth speakers (simultaneously) to broadcast music in different rooms of the house at the same time.

From what I have been able to find online about a set-up like this is it's not possible. Apparently, when you select device #1, and then try and select device #2, Bluetooth automatically disconnects the previous device so it can connect to the newly selected device.

Looking for some input into if there is a workaround for this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or for confirming that connecting multiple speakers via Bluetooth simultaneously is not possible.

TBH it's a lottery, Bluetooth like Wi-Fi can have many factors that affect it, this is possible, BUT, it can carry a big price tag, unless you already have the hardware, which would involve a media streaming unit, Sonos or any other device that can transmit media to compatible receivers, obviously this is not what you want to hear, because if you already had this hardware you wouldn't be wanting to do this.

 

Let's see what you have first, what version do you have ?

There are 3 or 4 as best I can work out, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen (heavily labelled as 2013 version), Asus Nexus, and Google Nexus are the names I came across before Xmas when researching this for a present for the wife, I suspect there is a lot of crossover in the names and advertising, but even a Nexus Tech (Curry's was flooded with maker specific tech's for query's before Xmas) failed to clarify this for me, not in a way that gave an absolute answer, hence my best description of versions here.

Also what Android version are you running ?

 

Now Tablets are a new beast to me, and as I got it for the wife I rarely touch it, not unless she has a problem lol, so my knowledge of the inner workings are minimal, but Bluetooth is Bluetooth, but again there are many variants now, a new variant I just found after looking for you is called "Bluetooth Smart" or "Bluetooth Smart Ready" dependant on your device, I won't waste to much time on this as I don't think it will make a difference here, although I linked to some software that again has promise, but it's impressive, you can get a pair of Nike running shoes with Bluetooth in that can monitor your run via your mobile.

 

My phone(s) have multi connectivity, but I believe they only support 1 headset connection at a time, but what I am unsure on is if speakers would be treated like a headset, if not then it's got to be possible, my mobile will connect to my headset, car and PC at the same time as it can handle 7 connections simultaneously if I recall, but I doubt if tablets have this yet.

I have also seen comments about having Wi-Fi on stops the Bluetooth from connecting, but this is probably a firmware issue more than anything at a guess, but it's something to consider testing if struggling.

 

I am having trouble finding anything really specific with the Nexus abilities, I suspect I may have to endanger my life and have a look at her's and pray she doesn't catch me with her new baby rofl  :whistling:  :rofl:

But I just came across the Nexus 7 Guidebook by Google, it may be worth a look at that, again I can't as I'd need to use the tablet to get it lol, but it may tell you something, but it's dated 2012 so not sure it will have the newest version.

 

I will keep looking, but I fear the only way to do this is by having additional hardware, capable of multiple connections, then use that hardware to stream the media to the speakers, and send the playlist to it from the tablet, but I am looking at Android Beam, not quite sure I understand it yet, but will be looking at it for clues, not any real answer I'm afraid, but it may offer inspiration at least, will let you know if I find any clear info, good luck with your quest

Hi 8210GUY,

I appreciate your reply and all the information you provided. Please don't go through any trouble or get in trouble from your wife trying to find a solution because as you stated with tablets still being relatively new I don't think they have caught up with all we'd like to be able to do with them. I have tried most of you suggestions prior to posting, and I can only get a single speaker or a single headset working at any one time. I have multiple Bluetooth speakers and the only way to get them to work is to pair speaker 1, then if I pair speaker 2, speaker 1 disconnects.

Funny you mentioned the Sonos option. After I was pretty sure that the Bluetooth route probably wasn't going to work I started looking for alternatives. I started poking around a bit myself and found the Sonos system might be more of what I really need (want). It will give me the flexibility that a desire with the ability to really customize the way I would like. And the Sonos App gives you a lot of control of what you listen to and how you listen to it. Each speaker can be set to play independently of the others on the network . But as you stated, it can be a bit pricey. What I do like is I can build the system as I go and don't have to spend a big chunk of cash up front.

Here is the information about the tablet:
Google Nexus (Nexus 7). I believe it is the 2nd Gen.
It is running Android version 4.4.2.
Kernel version 3.4.0-gac9222c.

Thanks again for your invaluable input, I really appreciate it. :notworthy:

TBH it's times like this I enjoy, as it makes me inspect and investigate things you wouldn't normally do, which builds on the knowledge you gain, so it's all good, but I do fear additional hardware would be needed at this time, your speaker issue tells me either speakers are treated like headsets, only 1 at a time, or it does not have multi connectivity, as best as I understand such matters currently anyway.

 

Bluetooth will work in theory, but as it is so heavily influenced by it's surroundings it may not be a way the big names will be looking at, Wi-Fi seems to be the way the big names are going, probably because it has a stronger ability and range, and the tablet range is probably 10M at the most, but you can get Bluetooth dongles that can reach up to 250M, so if you were to pursue this idea a dongle on your PC is the most likely start to get you a result.

 

Also the multi connectivity of such a dongle has a much better chance of working, but the more I see the more it seems most treat the speakers like a headset, so although you can have the headset, PC, car connected at the same time, and still be able to send a file to another phone, I fear as far as audio is concerned it's a way off yet before doing what you want.

 

But that said, there are options around that get close to what you want, JAMBOX connects to more than 1 speaker, and their Boombotix Sync App is showing a lot of promise in what you want to do, and there are various Bluetooth hardware options around where you "may" get to achieve your goal, but I would not go down that road at this time.

 

Big Update, the answer is a definite NO, not at this time at least, MultiCast is the main term here, and although you can connect to multiple devices at once, it appears to be you can only connect to 1 of each type at the same time, and even if possible you could not transmit different media (songs) to different speakers at the same time, so even if you can get more than 1 speaker connected, you can only send the 1 track to the connected Bluetooth speakers as best I can see, so they will all play the same tune.

 

After searching for info, I have at this time to conclude Bluetooth will probably end up like Betamax v VHS etc, Wi-Fi will probably win this battle, simply because it has the greater power\range, there is also the "lag" issue so if playing the same tune, it's getting it played at the same time on each set of speakers, otherwise as you go from room to room you will being getting a case of Deja Vue.

 

Sonos does appear to be the hands down winner in what you want to do, and it would be the perfect solution for you without waiting for the tech to catch up, they have already got it all in place, and more importantly got it working, and well at that, there are other systems, This Article has a look at that, but you can get Bluetooth streaming hardware, but as I said earlier I would not go this route, not until some future point where it has earned a rep in being able to do this.

 

There is one last cheapskate\poor mans option is your immediate solution, use 2 devices, connect your tablet to one set of speakers playing one playlist for it's media player, then connect your PC to the other set of speakers, the only thing that may hinder this is if the speakers can't be identified individually, then each unit may struggle to connect, but my logic tells me each device "should" transmit it's own address, and they would both show up in a pairing search, thus allowing you to select which set of speakers to connect to, but once done I suggest renaming the connection so you can identify it easily from thereon, so sorry there is no simple answer, but at least you have options if nothing else, good luck on your quest.

Hi 8210GUY,

 

I didn't expect such detailed reply. You seem to be ahead of me in the "research" department. But you touched on many valid points that have me exploring the WiFi option more vigorously. From the information you've provided along with your recommendations it's looking more and more that Bluetooth is not going to give me the setup and results I'm after.

 

The Sonos article was interesting and informative. I also scrolled down and read through some of the comments, and although some of what they were saying was out of my knowledge range I was able to get the gist of what they were saying.

 

Thank you for the links you provided, I had skimmed over the Boombotix app prior to your post, but again it's not available just yet. :wall:

 

In reference to your cheap man's way around this, I did try it using Pandora. The only problem was device 1 (tablet) and device 2 (blue-ray player) both logged into Pandora, but they would play different songs. Now on the surface this is not a real big issues because the tablet speaker was located in the bathroom, and the blue-ray player is in the living room. But if you wanted the same song to play though both devices you are out of luck. :pullhair:

 

So the more and more I look at my options I am really leaning towards the Sonos. I like the flexibility, and the options to expand as I go. But like anything, I will do some more research before I sink my hard earned dollars into this project.

 

I can't begin to thank you enough for all your input, it has been invaluable. :woot:

Well I did say I like my gadgets lol, and I hate being beat in what I want to achieve, numerous times I have achieved a goal when those who set up such things say you can't do that, I have often found some way to do what I want to do.

 

Now if you expand the Go wireless box\option in orange (just over half way down ish) it gives a mini pro\con of the other options, another point to note is that the music on the tablet is held online from what I have seen, it just streams it via the tablet, probably designed this way due to limited space, although there are ways to put music on it, this may restrict your wanting to play different music at the same time, but SONOS do an app (this may help get an idea of abilities), so you can control the system from your tablet or mobile phone.

 

I don't know Pandora, but it appears to be a media streamer, but my poor mans option I mentioned requires 2 devices, eg a PC and a tablet, 2 bluetooth connections (one on each device), 2 media players (again one on each), connect the tablet to speaker A, and play from the tablet to that, then connect the PC to speaker B, and play to that from the PC, that will achieve what you want to some extent, as long as the bluetooth connections are able to connect separately at the same time, I suspect\hope they would, thinking in connection terms each speaker would hopefully "broadcast" a different address, this will achieve what you want, but in a very basic way.

 

Anyway glad this has been of use, if you have anything you want to bounce around with someone I'm always happy to help, I may not have definitive answers at times, but I can certainly come up with ideas to inspire most of the time, but I hope you get to achieve your goal.  :thumbup:

Thanks again for all your input. If I have any other questions or thoughts I can't quite work out I'll take you up on your offer and reach out to you. :thumbup:

 

Thanks again

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI