This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Trying to use bluetooth with Yahoo Messenger

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hope I've got the right forum area for this question. I purchased a Motorola HS850 headset and the bluetooth on my Sony VAIO pcg-tr1mp laptop recognized it no problem, but I have no clue how to get it to work with Yahoo Messenger. There's got to be a way. The device options in Yahoo Messenger only include one speaker and mic in the laptop, not the bluetooth or headset. I would love to chat on YM or another phone messenger while I'm doing the dishes, etc. And I'd appreciate any info Thanks
Hi and welcome to WTT!

Because you have not mentioned it, I will assume that you use Windows XP. After doing some research I found out that wireless headsets should work with Yahoo! Messenger.

Let's first see if your headset is actually configured to do the audio and microphone:
  • Make sure your headset is connected.
  • Click Start
  • Choose Control Panel
  • Go to Sounds and Audio Devices
  • Click the Audio tab
    • Now at both Sound playback and Sound recording choose as Default device your Motora headset.
    • Click Apply at the bottom of the window.
    • If the Default devices change back to something else do the two steps above again.
  • Now go to the Volume tab
    • Make sure that Mute is unchecked
    • Under Speaker settings click Advanced and choose Stereo headphones
    • Now if you would click somewhere on the Device volume bar you would hear a sound. Set the volume as you want.
    • Click Apply
  • Click OK and close Control Panel

Now to make sure that everything is working do this:
  • Click Start
  • Go to All Programs
  • Choose Accessories, then Entertainment and click Sound Recorder
  • Here you can record a test message and play it back. Your headphone should work completely.

Then here you can see how to configure Yahoo! Messenger (please note it is a PDF file which will/should be opened with Adobe Acrobat/Reader):
http://www.bluetake.com/Manuals/Headset/BL…inXP_IVT-EN.pdf

Please let us know if that works.

Regards,
John.
Well, I've tried it and the first thing I discover is that under Sound Playback and Sound Recording the Morotola Headset is not an option. The default (and only) option is SoundMAX Digital Audio. I rechecked the Bluetooth Devices panel and the Motorola HS850 Headset is discovered and passkey enabled. Oh, yes, windows xp pro By following your instructions, I'm learning a few clues about configuring, but seem to be blocked if after setting up, the headset is not an option. Thanks, though, I'm at least one step further and I think you've answered one question as to whether it is possible. Any suggestions as to the next step would be much appreciated.
Thanks for getting back to me. No CD with the headset. If that is a limiting factor, should I be looking for headsets that come with software - is it possible the some headsets will work in this way while others will not? Thanks again
Hi,

If that is a limiting factor, should I be looking for headsets that come with software - is it possible the some headsets will work in this way while others will not?

No, this should not be of influence. It is just that I was wondering whether you have correctly installed the headset. Could you please test your headset like I said in my first post:
  • Click Start
  • Go to All Programs
  • Choose Accessories, then Entertainment and click Sound Recorder
  • Here you can record a test message and play it back. Your headphone should work completely.

Please let us know if the sound and microphone of the headset work.

Regards,
John.
Thanks again John, I guess I didn't proceed with your original instructions because I ran into the roadblock before I that far Now, under entertainment, there is no "sound recorder" option, only "volume control". Thanks for sticking with me.
Of course, sorry to be so helpless. No, it only plays on the laptop. I checked the bluetooth panel and the headset is enabled and the headset is on. The only option in Sound and Audio Device properties is SoundMaxDigitalAudio
Hi,

Let's see if it is shown in Device Manager:
  • Right-click on My Computer
  • Click Manage
  • Now click on Device Manager
  • Then expand the section of Sound, video and game controllers
  • There are probably a lot of things like codecs and drivers but also SoundMAX Integrate Digital Audio will show up
  • Now see if in that list also anything like Bluetooth audio device shows up or anything other that could indicate that your laptop knows the headset is connect
  • Also see if there is a section that has to do with Bluetooth and check if the headset is shown there.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
And there is also not a main section related to bluetooth which lists the headset? What happened exactly when you first connected the headset?
I turned the headset on accoring to instructions so it could be "found" and performed a "search" via the laptop bluetooth wizard which found and listed the headset - model number and all. But it's not listed under any of the Yahoo messenger panels, or under Sound, video and game controllers. If this Motorolla headset is not compatible, I would not be opposed to urchasing a bluetooth unit which connected via usb to the laptop, which would work if someone could direct me to one which they know would be compatible
Hi,

After doing some research I found out that installing a bluetooth headset, like the HS850, is not really easy. There are a lot of guides on how to connect your bluetooth headset in the right way and set it to completely work with your computer. This guide I found most detailed:
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/wind…oth.html?page=1
At the bottom of the page you will see a button 'Next page' and the guide will go on there.

I recommend that you make sure the headset is now disconnected and then completely work through that guide. That most really do the job.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI