This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot transfer bookmarks to Windows 8/IE 10

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys

 

I have a very frustrating problem especially since it seems so basic. In a nutshell:

 

My old computer finally died and I had my repair shop transfer all the files from the harddrive to an external harddrive.

 

I've moved everything to a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 8 and IE 10. I've been trying to import/export my favorites folder and all I get is "bookmark.htm file not found error message".

 

Seems so silly since I have a folder on my desktop with all my old favorites in it and I cannot get the new computer to accept/acknowledge them. I remember back in the day with Windows 95 all you had to do was cut and paste the folder to your favorites folder on C: and it worked. I don't know why this is so difficult.

 

I looked on the net and what I've found in forums and youtube vids doesn't work. For example, some folks have said to use Windows Easy Transfer, but obviously I can't do that because I cannot use the old computer, the screen is dead, which is why my repair shop had to access the hard drive and manually transfer the files onto the external hard drive.

 

Would appreciate any help or advice you guys can give.

 

thanks

 

Loopi

To start with what are the old files saved as ?

Importing requires them to have been exported to start with, or as you have found the format will be wrong, assuming your old system died and files were rescued by going in via linux or similar, and very simply copied over to a folder that was saved, then your old Win 95 experience will work, so if they are all showing as ie type icons, simply copy and paste those into your favorites folder, simple as that, just like it used to be, if that doesn't work then we need to know the format they are saved as, hope this helps.

Hi 8210Guy

 

It appears they have been saved as an internet shortcut (ie icon with the little right turn arrow).

 

I am so unfamiliar with the windows 8 (and windows 7 for that matter) formats as far as finding the correct folder to drop things into……I just don't understand this interface well. On the left side task bar, it often appears that you can find the same folder under several different locations (desktop, C:, etc), that I don't know where to go in and try dropping them in.

 

Also, many of the shortcuts were categorized under subfolders….I'd like to transfer those as well, rather than have to re-create all the subfolders.

 

Hope you can help

 

thanks

8210 guy -

well after I posted above, you got me thinking and I went searching on the left side task bar and went to:

 

This PC/C:/users/my name/favorites

 

and then just copied all the bookmarks that were saved from my old computer and dropped them into this file……I restarted the computer and voila, they are all now under Favorites in IE….

 

one problem though, any folders that had been created previously (like Toshiba, ebay, education, games, amazon, apps, ebooks or any "loose links" I had dropped in since I bought the computer, all appear first, at the top, and then I have to scroll down through all of that to get o "my" set of folders……you would think it would have alphabetized the folders for easier viewing……do you know how I can fix that?

 

thanks for giving me the brainstorm

I thought it would be a simple copy and paste job, if the are in the ie icon, just paste them into your favorites and your done, now it can get confusing with all the folder locations, they probably end up in the same place, but personally I always navigate in via My Computer… until you see your My Documents folder, dependant on the OS the favorites folder will either be inside the My Documents, or alongside it, as to folders, if they were saved in folders, copy and paste the folder(s) along with any other links, the contents will move over with them, you get your favorites back to where they should be in under 30 seconds when you get used to it.

 

As to putting them in order, simply right click on any bookmark (with ie open and displaying the favorites), then select to Sort By Name, job done, they will be in alphabetical order with folders first, and the rest afterwards, hopefully this is what you were after, hope it helps.

8210guy

 

Thanks for the tip, the Sort by Name feature got it all sorted out….so simple, but wasn't obvious to me.

 

Regarding "My Computer", is that the same as "This PC" for windows 8 because I don't see a "my computer" in file folders (what I call the left side vertical task bar). The Documents folder is where all my data is saved but that's all it contains. should I send a screen shot?

 

This is the thing about windows 8, very confusing. For example, why is there a Program Files folder and also a Program Files (x86) folder right below it? I have no idea why that is.

 

Anyways, thanks for helping me get this sorted out….you guys are great!

 

cheers

 

Loopi

NP, it's nice to find a simple solution at times lol, but as to drive designation, C Drive, Local Disk, "OS" Drive, are all terms used for the installation drive, My Computer is kind of a "bad habit" after working with xp for so many years, it was the link under the start button to open a folder where you could see the OS drive, from which you could then navigate in.

 

My Win 8.1 seems to call it This PC which is on the left of the main window of any folder (assuming it's not been hidden), which is the same as you are seeing, so your instincts were correct from the start, you were just thrown by the new OS\presentation, as are the vast majority to start with probably, but in essence it works just the same way, it's just the way you have to go about certain things that are different to start with, but the end result is still the same, it's just getting there that throws you.

 

The folder(s) you mentioned, the reason you're seeing 2 Programs folders is because you must be running a 64bit OS, the Program Files folder is the 64bit installed files, the Programs Files (x86) are the 32bit installs, the Documents folder you see under This PC are shortcuts, I personally still go in via the OS Drive and navigate through Users until I reach the folders I need, at least when it comes to pasting in files such as putting the saved favorites back, that way I am sure to be accessing the right folder, and it's also the surest way (albeit mentally) of seeing the folders you may want to access, given the varied placements of folders within the Windows versions, glad your sorted anyway.

8210guy

Thanks for the information and 32-bit vs 64-bit (not that i really know what that means or why there should be two different systems.

 

Hopefully i will get the hang of Windows 8, but I didn't get a touch screen laptop, so every time that "homepage" pops up, it is just cluttered with all the selection choices versus, as you said with XP, a simple menu, click My Computer, go there and then look for your next choice, etc etc. Now it is like a bunch of exploded icons across the screen….I just hit the desktop button to take me back to something familiar. Also, you used to understand the folder system better on XP, now Windows 7 and Windows 8 are like "virtual" folders and somehow it is more difficult to get your head around how they work….whatever, gotta accept the new technology and move on, i guess.

 

One irritating thing for exaple is if you want to shut down, you have to mouse over to the right side so the right side menu pops out, then you have to click on Settings and then finally it gives you power button options. Was so much easier to just hit a start button and select shutdown……would love someone to show me why this new setup is so much better….sigh

 

Thanks for all your help

 

Cheers

Well the difference between the 32bit and 64bit is quite simply ram, 32bit systems can only see around 3.5gig to 3.75gig dependant on the hardware, 64bit can see amounts up to maybe 32gig for many systems, but it's the hardware limiting the amount, in 32bit it's the OS limiting it, there are also benefits in speed, as 64bit can do more at the same time than 32bit, probably a lot more as well, but these are the main benefits that I understand it as.

 

Now Windows 8 is not as nice as 8.1 IMHO, they have put the Start button back, and although this does not work the way we are used too, it does see to return a bit of normality, the secret to getting used to Windows 8\8.1 is using the corners, the top\bottom right ones brings out the main menu, from which you can get to the bit's like the control panel etc, the left side on the bottom is like the toggle between the homepage screen and the desktop.

 

The top left is where you can access other open windows\folders that have gone behind the screen you're on, and moving the mouse from the top left corner down, it exposes all other open windows\App's, just like in xp where the tabs show on the bottom bar, and you can click on the one you want to bring to the front.

 

Another massive trick to give some normality back (in 8.1 at least), you can right click on the Start button, and it almost the same as we are used to in xp, there is still a large part of stuff missing such as programs and the like, but it gives quick access to the Control Panel, and the Shutdown options as well as many more that could be useful for some, there are App's\programs you can use to get back the full Start style menu, which I did use in Win 8 to start with, as it was a horrendous experience to start with, but once I started to get used to it's workings, I slowly started to manage without these programs anymore, so if you're really struggling you can regain some normality, but I'd have to find the App again if you wanted to try it, but hopefully these bits of info will help a bit.

8210guy

 

Thanks so much for those tips. I actually am running 8.1 (I just checked it) but since I knew it was 8-something I just rounded.

 

I love the right click of start button, that helps a lot. I hate how when I move my mouse anytime quickly away from the right side, it pulls out the menu with the clock and then you have to click off it for it to go away and if you don't and move mouse again, it brings you to the "exploded icon" page.

 

for some reason I am not getting anything popping up when I have the mouse on the left side, but maybe it is just due to this IE page?

 

I figure sooner or later I will get used to this program, but I do appreciate the tips.

 

thanks

Well the top left corner, then sliding down will only expose any other open items, and will show them as small "preview" windows, a modern version of the tabs on the bottom on the screen in xp kind of thing, if you have nothing else open, then there is nothing else to show, but to see this in action, open say your media player, a web page, a word doc, a game, you get the idea, but with these all open at the same time, only the latest one will be on top, if it's a full window then you won't see the rest.

 

Now put your cursor in the top left corner, and you will see a window, but now move your cursor down the left side a little, and it will expand the side and show all the open items, just click on any 1 of them to swap to it, repeat as needed, once you get to grips with that, things get a bit easier, hope this helps anyway. 

ok, I see how that works now. but how do you close all these open phantom windows? for example there is a tile called "video" (not the same as media player), but there is no discernable way to "x" out of all these different tiles that get opened…..

 

where is the so-called "intuition" in this type of design…..I just don't get it…..do I need to be a Millennial to understand?

 

how do I find media player anyways?….

Again the simple right click solves all lol, at least thats what I use, simply right click on each window you want to close, and then select Close, job done.

 

The intuition, or trying to understand such things, can lead to headaches, as such I try not to think about it if I can help it lol, often it is obvious, but there are times where it is such a different way to look\think about something, you will never get it, at least until the penny drops, at such times I just plod on, and once in a while something will make sense, then parts fall into place, but thats me.

 

Now we all know that m$ puts it's own stuff to be used with the OS, but it doesn't always mean it is the best, or easiest, personally I use VLC as a media player, it can play pretty much anything you throw at it, and once you have set it as the default option, it will be the one that launches for media it is the default player for, in Win 8\8.1 the first time you access media\App's it will come up and ask you what you want to do with that specific file\type, and will offer suggestions as to what will run it, once you select and accept a specific program to work with such file types, it will become the default, repeat as each new media comes up, and you're good to go, hope this helps a bit at least.

 

*edit

I missed that you asked how to find the media player, personally I just launch the media file I want to use, the media player fires up automatically, so I never need to launch it in it's own right the way you're asking how to, but if you install VLC, by default it leaves a shortcut on the desktop for you, if you want to go in the other way, click on the Start button, if it isn't in view there, click the Down arrow (small icon in a circle) to list all the programs, and you should find it listed in there, but it's presentation doesn't always make it easy reading.

 

Another tip for you, to tidy up the Start page, if you right click on each item that you do NOT want to have showing, maybe because you have no interest in it, it will leave a tick on it, and open a small menu bar at the bottom, once you have clicked on all the items you do not want, look to the bottom and select Unpin from Start, something like that, those items will be removed from the start page, but remain installed.

 

Using the exact same method, while in the expanded list of ALL your programs, right click on each you WANT to have fast access to, again it will do the same as previous, when done, at the bottom, select to Pin these to the Start Page, something like that, then those item will be showing on the start page, hopefully this will make things a bit easier for you, you can also drag and drop the "icons" on the start page into any position you want.

8210guy

 

Those are great tips. Thanks for all the help. I started cleaning up the start page (and app page, if that's what it's called?) and with the right click feature, it is starting to make a little more sense to me. Maybe I will get the hang of it.

 

thanks for the tip on VLC too, I will try that.

 

All the best

NP, many use VLC because it can play almost anything you throw at it, but glad your finding it easier to use Win 8.1 now, I wouldn't touch it when it came out (Win 8), but friends got new systems with it on, I was forced to start dealing with it, initially I installed a program to return the Start button so it worked to the way we were used to, it was horrendous prior to that, but with 8.1 it was a lot easier to find your way around compared, and I initially used the same program to run it again, but was very soon able to manage without once I found these little titbits, I still have my moments lol, but am able to pretty much get on with it now, glad this has helped you as well.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI