This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

installed win8.1 and now cannot open pdf or zip files

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

About 1 month ago I updated from win 8 to win 8.1 and then noticed I could no longer open zip files sent to me by email. I was able to open these files prior to the update but now cannot. I can also not open powerpoint files either. I have brought it in to have a teck look at it but he was unable to resolve the issue. So if there is anything you can suggest I will gladly apply the information. Thanks in advance, and I wonder why this update would break something (for lack of a better term) as opposed to fixing and upgrading.

I use the metro app that comes with windows 8 and appears on the start screen. I wonder if this is the app that may be skewed now after the update install? Thanks for the quick response. I'm out for dinner for a couple of hours but will check in after that if you've responded to this string. Thanks.

I'm probably not going to be any help with that. I don't use anything Metro. I boot to the Desktop and stay there.

 

What do you expect to happen when you double click on a .zip file in Email?

 

When I do this, I get a window like the following:

 

📎ZIPstuff.jpg

 

I normally have it set to Save, but if I set it to Open with Windows Explorer then that's what happens.

I've now set it up so that I boot up into my desktop. Should I be setting up a different email account in order to get files that I can open up without any hassle?

Exactly what happens when you double click on the zip attachment in the Metro Email program?

 

You could try Thunderbird for your Email but Windows Mail should work.

Hello, did I mention that I can not open powerpoint files either? Not sure what is going on but sure do wish that Microsoft could get the OS working well without issue before sending it out to us.

Do you have Office or Powerpoint Viewer installed?

 

Open Control Panel, Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

CHeck .pps and .zip, see what program they point to. Change if needed.

so when I looked into file assoc. I don't even have a pps file to associate with anything. Also what do I associate these files with anyway? I left the pps to be opened with powerpoint and still cannot open them. Geez what happened in that win8.1 download?

Do I save my files and reinstall this os or what? If I did would it not ask me to also update to win8.1 again? I want to stay away from that actually.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI