This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 8.1

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Do you still have msn messenger ?

There are options in that which could be behind this, fastest way to check is open ie, click on the cog to expand the menu and select Manage Add-Ons, under Toolbars and Extensions, look in the list on the right of the window for anything to do with msn, if you find anything to do with it, highlight it and change it to Disabled if it isn't already (button becomes active in the bottom right corner), save and exit ie, now go back and see if it has made a difference, if it hasn't I will look deeper into it for you.

I have done this and it still occurs. I appreciate your effort, thank you.

 

MS has stated they are aware that this Enhanced Protected Mode is on by default (see advanced in internet options) but say if you uncheck it you expose the pc to risk. I suppose I could disable it and be free from this warning.

 

It sounds odd to have it enabled by default to the point where it causes conflict and the way to stop it is to incur risk by disabling it.

 

I was wondering if anyone else with 8.1 was experiencing it with Outlook.com, especially. It happens at a few other sites too.

 

I have been using Chrome to get used to it before I get my wife a Chromebook as she is not familiar at all with pcs. Chrome is interesting and in the meanwhile she is using Firefox which she likes.

 

Unfortunately when you use a browser other than explorer you have to keep signing in to mail etc.

 

 I really like Win 8.1 but the browser,11, could use some tweaking.

 

Thank you again for your reply. If you find any errors in my message please bring them to my attention.

Peter

PS I have been reading that there are a lot of changes + relabeling  being made to Oulook.com and other MS services . Essentials was one of them as was messenger, Skype and more.

Not sure as I don't have any messenger installed, if you tell me what messenger you are using then I can try on my system to see what I can find, but I did find several lots of answers that look like the sorts of thing I would be looking to try, see if These help.

As we speak some changes are being made to Skype and  Outlook.com etc.  Messenger is being discontinued while Skype is part of Outlook.com.

 

It is pretty confusing.

 

I see no evidence anymore of any messenger in my system.

 

I disabled enhanced protected mode in MSIE 11 as it is disabled by default and the persistent warring no longer appears. Win 8.1 with MSIE 11 has a new surprise every day but things seeem to be falling into place.

Thank you

Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI