This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

network

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I thought I had private vs. public figured out by changing the slider at "network" from public to private. However I noticed it is stuck on public and I cannot change it to private. Please advise. Thank you
Hi Rich
I got a few emails this am.
One was from a techy person like yourself who is imaging back to Win 8 because some of his equipment will not work with 8.1 and the manufacturers etc. are not in a hurry to fix this with Win 9 coming.
He was distressed that he was losing some of the speed of 8.1 but could not fully function. I am doing fairly well with 8.1 so far. I think for my wife and I the Chromebook is in our near future = cost, breakage, ease etc.
I have familiarized my self with extensions to a degree and with a password and encryption it should be safe enough for what we do.
Thank you for the link you provided as it did clarify the slider issue. I am using private unless out.
I understand network discovery and home group don't work with public. I think the way private vs. public is written is vague.
I am very luck my printer updated software and sent e a link I used and kept for future use as the printer works well.
If I was smart I would use Win 7 which came with the machines until they break then go to the ChromeBook.
However, I am going to punish myself with challenges till I pass.
Thanks again
Peter
PS !!!! For anyone who is viewing especially mods, my lines of typing are running off the right margin as I type
and until I click add reply.
I just thought you would like to know..

Read here: Change Network location from Public to Private in Windows 8.



@Rich - Thank you for the other issue and the link.
Win 8 made sense changing private to public and the other way around. It was done as the link explains. However, Win 8.1 is different.
You need to go to lower rt>setting>change pc settings>then to network where you slide left or right for private or public.
I cannot image why they had to further confuse people with these hide and seek changes.

Besides having to ask a manuf for a link I installed for my printer and kept for future reference, 8.1 is working well - very fast.

Is my reply appropriate and accurate?

Peter
Peter, your reply is right on. I think MS changes things just because they can or so there will be some difference between versions. They are not alone though. Many software vendors make changes that degrade the useability of their product.
Yes, sir. A Chromebook may be in my future soon so my wife can handle things by herself as she is not Windows literate. At least there will be less maintenance. She just emails and browses.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI