Smart Defrag is pretty much the best free option around, and it can schedule scans etc, this doesn't mean other options aren't any good, just that this is probably the most inclusive free package out, you just set it and forget it, other ones usually require manual intervention to do it's job.
NP, they even rate it better than Diskeeper, now that is an impressive boast, as for many years it was widely counted as the best out there, as to keeping well, that's far to deep and involved, but have stayed out of hospital so far lol, hope your doing better anyway.
I don't care for the "background" auto defrag features.
In my opinion, defragging once monthly or even once per 6 months is enough.
Or after major OS update/application installations.
More, and especially auto-background, is simply too much read/write activity on the Hard Drive.
I'd never tried IOBIT Smart Defrag, so have now given it a test drive on this machine.
So far I like it.
During installation I selected to disable Auto Defrag.
But then, just now I went into the Smart Defrag control panel, and the darn thing was running auto defrag.
I disabled it again, and clicked Apply.
I'll keep an eye on that feature.
TBH I have no opinion either way on such auto features, I happily leave it on in my system and any others I touch, and I have yet to find it cost any performance hit, look deeper into the settings there are further options to start\stop defrag actions when the PC's hard drive becomes active\inactive, also you can stop it running when on battery power (for laptops), but I would never leave such a large gap between defrag's, more so on a highly used system.
The amount of data I move about on a daily basis means I need regular defrag's, the bigger the gap between defrag's the longer the defrag, and in older slower systems this can take many hours, newer systems are better, but weekly is my suggestion for speed and optimal use, just depends on the individual requirements I guess.
As to keeping well, that's far to deep and involved, but have stayed out of hospital so far lol
Oh no, nothing too serious I hope, I wish you the best of health & thanks agian for your suggestion.
Thank you too Doug for your informative input, excellent as always.
Managed to stay out of hospital so far, and kept my temp to under 101 so far, but with my physical health this is a major hit to my system, and usually takes me months to get through, but it's all downhill for me, hope all is better for you though.
Managed to stay out of hospital so far, and kept my temp to under 101 so far, but with my physical health this is a major hit to my system, and usually takes me months to get through, but it's all downhill for me, hope all is better for you though.
That's a shame sorry to hear that, I hope things get better for you soon. I'm doing OK thank you. Bit tired from work & looking after the children etc , but apart from that not too bad, thanks for asking.
Defraggler is a great disk defragmenter for all Windows versions. Also, Here [Lifehacker.com] is a list of top 5 user-voted disk defragmenters for Windows.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI