So, what is the best Defrag software for a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop with Windows Vista Home Edition on it?
I have used Diskeeper 2008, Perfect Disk 2008 and now I'm hearing that Smart Defrag is good too, is there any other good ones out there? I just want to know what one is the best to use and what you lads all use. Would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Thanks for the reply Abydos.
They look good. I want one that is free or can be paid for (I don't mind splashing the cash for something to keep my Laptop running fast). I have paid for Diskeeper 2008 and PerfectDisk, both are very good, Diskeeper would analyse and defragment faster than PerfectDisk. However, I am currently using PerfectDisk but am wondering if there is any better ones out there, like what do most people use and what would they recommend.
I use DeFraggler, it's free and works well enough for me. I run it once or twice a year because it makes me feel good, not because it improves performance.
If you were to do an imperical test of your system performance before and after defragging, I doubt if you would be able to measure the difference, if you are using NTFS. If you use FAT32 then there may be a slight improvement if the fragmentation was severe.
I use Diskeeper 2009 Pro on my XP systems, and it's in automatic defrag mode, so it defrags in the background whenever required (usually a few mins a day, not more). Very convenient and effective; like it a lot.
Except for one thing. No defrag program can defrag files in use, so all files currently active, are never defragged. At one point they will get so fragmented you will begin to experience errors. Best way is to reboot your PC, start it up in safe-mode, and run a full defrag.