This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Internet connect very poor for one computer only!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay, so lets go back to the start. This started about 2 weeks ago. It was very annoying then and its even more annoying now. When it happened, I did several things to try and fix it.
First, I did the standard reset of my modem/router combo then a reset of my computer. I uninstalled the usb adapter completely then reinstalled it. got to the point where I was sure what to do and decided to do a FULL windows 7 reboot and still after that NOTHING IS WORKING!! :)
After spending around 3 hours on the phone with my internet provider just to hear them tell me over and over that its me not them, the connection is fine you need better carp**!! uhg.. anyway, I have a very new computer, built it myself only 3 months ago… so its not that.
I started with a NETGEAR 1100 little crappy usb adapter. I then got a wifi extender to see if that worked.. it didnt. I then i upgrade to a netgear 3100. It worked for a while then completely stopped working. Then I got a very strong usb adapter called POWERLINK Hermes 1000mW High Power Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n.
I now get full bars…. when I am connected to the internet, which at one point was only for about 10 minutes at a time.
There is no doubting that i am far away from my router, it has to pass 2 walls and maybe 20 feet, I would say this is the reason why, but I cant, becaues for 2 YEARS I had perfect internet, no problems no nothing.
IThen I did something which at the times seemed to fix it completely… I put my wireless adapter up on my window where it could sit and instead of passing the 2 walls it has to pass through one, and a window. So for the remainder of the day I had perfect internet.. just 100%, then the next day it was bad again.

I have a modem router combo from my provider call https://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-c1000a.html I have VDSL and 7.5/1.5

Now, This problem is only in my room, most wireless connection have trouble connecting down hear but only slightly. Not as bad as my pc.
Hopefully I provided enough info, if needed I will post more.
Hi WithoutTheWig and welcome to the WTT forums. Wireless Internet Access often causes problems, but fortunately there are a number of things that can be done to zero in on the particular area that is causing the issues. Once we have identified the main culprit that is at the root of the issue we can draw up a suggested fix. As a first step please move your computer to within 2 metres of your Wireless Access Point/Router/Modem and carry out a thorough test of your Internet Access (still using wireless). If you get a good and consistent connection then try moving in gradual steps to increase the distance between your WAP and your computer and tell us the distance that the connection starts to be inconsistent. We will then advise the nest steps. Regards paws

Hi WithoutTheWig and welcome to the WTT forums.

Wireless Internet Access often causes problems, but fortunately there are a number of things that can be done to zero in on the particular area that is causing the issues. Once we have identified the main culprit that is at the root of the issue we can draw up a suggested fix.

As a first step please move your computer to within 2 metres of your Wireless Access Point/Router/Modem and carry out a thorough test of your Internet Access (still using wireless).

If you get a good and consistent connection then try moving in gradual steps to increase the distance between your WAP and your computer and tell us the distance that the connection starts to be inconsistent. We will then advise the nest steps.

Regards

paws


I will try that, but there is no denying that if I move closer, I will have a better connection. My modem works, I just think that its having trouble getting all the way to me.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI