This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connection Issues

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I do not know much about computers or home networks so please forgive me. There are 2 desktop pc's that I am using in my home network but only one of them is able to get a solid internet connection. I use cable to access the internet from Comcast and there is a modem and a Netgear router. The computer that is connected to the modem and router gets great connection and rarely has an issue with being able to get online. The second computer is in another room and is the one that cannot get an internet connection (or if I am able to get online it is only for about a minute and then drops me). I am using homeplugs for the second computer to get a connection because I previously used a wireless connection and the signal was weak (low or no connectivity). When I first started using the homeplugs the second computer worked good and was able to a connection for the first 2-3 months. Then I began having the current connection issues and haven't been able to get online ever since. I contacted Comcast and they ran tests and said everything on their end was working properly and that I should contact Netgear, Netgear then had me run tests and it showed that the router was working correctly and it was most likely an ethernet adapter issue. I know that it is not faulty homeplugs because I took the second computer and hooked it up to the first computers station and it still did not work. I have no idea how network adapters work and I want to fix the current problem. When I checked in device manager there was a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it next to a Direct Parallel adapter under the network adapters section. I do not know if this might have something to do with the issue, but I don't know if I should attempt to uninstall or update using my dell resource CD. Can anyone please help me. If there is other info you need just ask and I will do my best to get it for you. I hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks
Hi sorry to hear of the Internet connection problem
The "direct parallel connection" is not really an issue here…..it used to be used "in the old days" for connecting two computers together via a null modem cable type set up to transfer data files from one machine to another. Its best forgotten about as its unlikely to have any effect on your Internet connection.

Note it may be best to print out this list before you start and work through each item methodically checking them off as you go, and noting any outputs/screen messages/error codes or contents of dialog boxes that you see. Screen dumps are also helpful so take them when appropriate.

1 In "Device Manager" expand the entry for "Network Adapters" (click on the +sign to the left) and copy out the details for any adapters shown..and post back here with the details.
2 Do any of the adapters have a yellow or red marker against them (apart from the direct parallel connection referred to above?
3 Try a known good working computer on the Homeplug in the distal area…(this will check if your Homeplug connection is Ok its likely it is Ok but its best to check) post back with the results from this.
4 The fact that your distal computer does not work in the area proximate to your router/modem usually indicates that it’s a fault with your computer settings that is causing the problem.
5 So here is a list of further steps to take……
If your network icon appears on the Windows taskbar, then you can repair it by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Repair.

6 If you have no task bar icon do this:

•Click on the Start button.
•Click on the Settings menu option.
•Click on the Control Panel option.
•When the Control Panel opens, double-click on the Network Connections icon. If your Control Panel is set to Category View, then double-click on Network and Internet Connections and then click on Network Connections at the bottom.
•You will now see a list of available network connections. Locate the connection for your Wireless or Lan adapter and right-click on it.
•click on the Repair menu option.

7 If that doesn't work - try this:

•Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
•Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection for cable and DSL or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and choose Properties.
•Click the Networking tab
•Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
•Write down the settings in case you should need to change them back.
•Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
•Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.
•If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.

8 In I.E.

•Check internet options settings.
•Tools > Internet Options > Connections
•LAN settings
•Choose "automatically detect settings"
•uncheck both proxy settings boxes

9 In FireFox

•Click on Advanced -> Network -> Setttings…
•the No Proxy option should be selected.

10 If still no joy then please do this:
Click on Start.
click on Run
type in the white box
cmd
press the enter key
at the DOS prompt
type in
ipconfig /release
press enter key
Note the space between the "g" and the "/" it needs to be there:
make a note of the output and post it in your reply

11 Next and still at the DOS prompt type in
ipconfig /flushdns
press Enter
note the spacing
note down the output and post it back in your reply

12 Next and still at the DOS prompt type in
ipconfig /renew
press the Enter key
Note the spacing etc…
note down the output and post it back in your reply

13 next and still at the DOS prompt type in:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
press the Enter key
note the spacing etc
note down the output and post back etc

14 Next and still at the DOS prompt type in
netsh int ip reset catalog
press the Enter key
note the spacing etc…
note down the output and post back etc

15 If you want to exit from the Dos prompt then just type in
exit
and press the Enter Key

16 Next power cycle your modem and router wait 2 minutes by the clock before powering them up
Next close down your machine and wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen (this must be a full power off, not a hibernate/sleep/standby)
next power up your computer and Wait 5 minutes ( by the clock…not a second earlier) and see if your internet is back.

17 If still no joy then do the following please
Click on Start
Click on run
type in the white box
cmd
press Enter key
at the DOS prompt type in
ipconfig /all
Click on OK
note the space between the "g" and the "/" it needs to be there:
Please copy and paste the output into your reply and let us know the following:

19 Have you run the WinSockFix tool, yet?
20 Have you run dial a fix yet?
21 Make and model of your computer and make and model of your router and modem
The outputs that you noted down from the previous steps.

Regards
paws
I want to start off by thanking you for taking the time to help me out with my problem….. it is greatly appreciated. I want to make sure that the instructions you have given me are to be done on the computer that is not able to get connection. This might sound like a dumb question but I just want to make sure. Thanks Steve

to be done on the computer that is not able to get connection

Yes that is correct.
and
its not a dumb question…..I'll alter my instructions so that in the future this is made clear.
Regards
paws
I have completed all the steps up until power cycling the modem & router and closing down the machine. I was wanting to post the output I have so far before going forward. I also want to get some clarification regarding the powering off step. When you say to close down the machine are you referring to the computer that is working or the distal one that is not. The modem & router are connected to the working computer and I want to know if I should just leave that one alone. Here are the outputs from the step instructions: 1. Under the Network Adapter section there are 2 listed adapters: - Intel® PRO\100 VE Network Connection - Wireless-B PCI Adapter (this device is disabled) 2. The Wireless-B PCI Adapter has a red X next to it 3. After typing ipconfig \release (the backslash on this keyboard doesn't work, but it does on the computer with the issues. I will use the forward slash in place of backslash for only reference on here) this was the response: - Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 3: Connection-specific DNS suffix……..: (there was nothing that showed up and was blank) IP Address…….: 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask……: 0.0.0.0 default gateway…….: (there was nothing that showed up and was blank) 4. After typing ipconfig \flushdns: - Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache 5. After typing ipconfig \renew: - An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. 6. Nothing showed up after typing both: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt & netsh int ip reset catalog I hope that you can understand everything I just posted. Please let me know if you want me to proceed with powering off the router, modem, and machine. As well as finishing the other steps. I have not run the winsockfix tool or dial a fix. The make and model of the computer that is not connecting is a Dell Dimension E310. The modem is a Cisco 2100 cable modem and the router is a Netgear wireless-N 150 router WNR1000 v2.

Please let me know if you want me to proceed with powering off the router, modem, and machine.

No, not just yet
It looks as though your distal machine is not getting an IP address from your router…( it should be getting one!)
Make sure that you have a Cat 5 network cable* connected from your router (not your modem) to the homeplug and that the Homeplug is plugged into your mains electrical outlet (you should not use an adapter or a trailing lead, (solo or multi gang, plug it into the mains directly for best results, you should connect your modem to the router and the router to the network port on the proximal computer. You can leave the proximal computer switched off, all tests should be carried out with the distal computer only switched on.
You should have another Homeplug plugged into the mains electrical outlet in the area distal to the modem/router (here again do not use adapters for the Homeplug) and finally make sure that you have a cat5* network cable connected between the distal computer and the adjacent Homeplug.
NOTE * the Cat 5 Network cable should be a twisted pair cable and not a "crossover cable"…if in any doubt ask for a network patch cable Cat 5e or Cat6 if you are rich! (cat 5e is fine)
Now try the instructions again, using only the distal computer
Regards
paws
When I talked to the Netgear guy he had me do the ip config prompt and it was giving an ip address. I think that when you had me change the settings in your instructions that it changed something. For me to highlight the radio button next to "Obtain DNS servers automatically", I had to highlight the radio button above it in the IP Address section and change it from "use this specific IP Address" to "receive IP Address automatically". Should I change it back because I know that it was working and giving an IP Address before. I am using the cat5 cable for the homeplug. All the cables that you have described above are in the correct positions. To simplify this post I am stating that there was an IP Address showing up from the router previous to starting the instructions you listed, and am wanting to know if you want me to try and change the settings back to the way it was before when I was receiving an IP Address. What do you mean when you say I shouldn't use adapters for the homeplug. Are you saying that the power cord should go directly from the homeplug into an electrical outlet. (sorry, my question mark key doesn't work on this keyboard)
It is usual to have "Obtain DNS servers automatically" and if I was sitting in front of your machine (and not several thousand miles away) I would set it to "automatically"
its your call of course…..

at stage 8 of the instructions (end of line 2) please check that the white box under "Dial up and VPN connections" is empty….if there is anything already in there let me know exactly what, and then ensure that there is a dot in the radio button labelled "Never dial a connection"

On the question of the Homeplug and how its plugged in…that is the point exactly:

and that the Homeplug is plugged into your mains electrical outlet (you should not use an adapter or a trailing lead, (solo or multi gang, plug it into the mains directly for best results


You should have another Homeplug plugged into the mains electrical outlet in the area distal to the modem/router (here again do not use adapters for the Homeplug)


If you check the installations instructions for the Homeplug they will make this clear
Regards
paws
I don't know what to do from here. I went back into IE and followed your most recent instructions: the section under proxy servers in LAN Settings where it says "Use a proxy server for your LAN(these settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections)" is all gray (i hope you know what I am referring to when I say gray….it is really faint). There is a box next to Address that is empty. There is a box next to Port that has 80 inside of it (but like I said, it is all gray and faint in this entire section). There is also a box next to that has advanced inside it. Underneath this is a box that says "Bypass proxy server for local addresses", and this box is NOT checked. In the Internet options main section (above where the LAN Settings clickable box is) there are 3 radio buttons to choose from that are all gray & faint and the top one is "Never dial a connection". This radio button is highlighted and the other 2 are not highlighted. This is the only place where I saw an option for clicking on "Never dial a connection". I again tried your instructions in the DOS prompts. When doing the first prompt "ipconfig \release" the response was: "IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection 3 has already been released. The second prompt "ipconfig \flushdns" response was the same as the first time I tried it: "successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache". The response for "ipconfig \renew" was: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. I tried typing in only ipconfig in the prompt and the response was: Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 3: Connection-specific DNS Suffix..: blank (nothing was there) Autoconfiguration IP Address……: 169.254.241.93 Subnet Mask……………………………..: 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway………………………..: blank Underneath the above response there was also the same response as when I attempted your set of instructions for ipconfig \release. I don't know if this is of any use but when I am in the internet connections section of the control panel, when I right-click on Local Area Connection 3 there is an IP Address and Subnet Mask that shows up under details on the left side of the screen. Underneath it it says "Assigned by DHCP". I know this must look confusing but I don't know any other way to get this info across to you. There is something preventing the correct response from showing up in the DOS prompts and I think that might be an issue we need to fix. Please respond with any further instructions. Thanks again. Steve
Hi

Autoconfiguration IP Address……: 169.254.241.93

This confirms my previous comments:

It looks as though your distal machine is not getting an IP address from your router…( it should be getting one!)


if you have followed all the other suggestions in my post then try this;
disconnect your homeplug from the router, and the electrical socket.
disconnect the homeplug from the distal computer and the electrical socket
connect a long cat 5 patch cable from the router to your distal machine's network port
power cycle your modem/router
close down and then restart your distal computer
leave the proximal computers switched off
does this enable your Internet?
Regards
paws
Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't me talking the distal computer (the one not getting a connection) and trying to hook it hook up by exactly swapping it with the good one be pretty much the same thing as your last set of instructions. I tried to hook up the non working computer to the same wires and cables as the one that is working and I still couldn't get online. I can't physically connect a cable from the router to the distal computer while in the other room because of the distance and layout. Are you saying that it is a problem with the distal computers settings or with the router. Steve
i think i would physically take the pc to where you can connect it to a separate port on your router, so both pc's are connected to the router at the same time, until paws figures out where the problem is, then when the problem has been found and fixed you should be able to take it back to where it is now and use the homeplugs again. :thumbup: :popcorn:

Are you saying that it is a problem with the distal computers settings or with the router.


This is what we are trying to find out…..

If you connect a long cat 5 patch cable twix router and distal computer……this will cut out the homeplugs and using the mains wiring in your home as the network route from router to distal computer….

Cat5 patch cables are very inexpensive to buy,and even cheaper to borrow! I always carry a 30 meter ( 100 foot approx) cable in my repair bag so I can perform this test.
The only thing you need to remember is not to trip over it for the few minutes that you have it set up for the test, and to keep other folks, including children or pets away from it as well,during this time. If you really cant lay your hands on a long cat 5 cable then follow Terry's excellent suggestion and move the distal computer so it's in reach of the router, when using the length of cat5 cable that you have available, or can borrow.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't me talking the distal computer (the one not getting a connection) and trying to hook it hook up by exactly swapping it with the good one

No..what I'm suggesting is the router and the distal computer be connected via a cat5 patch cable…this does not involve the proximal computer at all……
When you have the router and proximal computer connected by a cat5 cable then perform all the steps again including the ipconfig /all and post back the output
Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI