This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

UEFI

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I am not a member of Macrium forum b/c I use the free version. Could a member ask them if a pc has UEFI and they launch CSM and disable secure boot control which rescue disc will work to recover an image? I tried to make a Bartpe disc but it seems to want to make a flashdrive in order to be involved with UEFI. Which disc is it ,Linux or Bartpe and how is the Bartpe created if that is the one? Thank you

disable secure boot control which rescue disc will work to recover an image?


all discs and media are bootable when secure boot is disabled.

secure boot stops everything from booting unless it has been signed by a special key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Exten…mware_Interface

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx

think of uefi as just a different type of bios and it's the secure boot setting itself that stops things from booting, so just disabling secure boot will make it act just like a normal bios of old.

:popcorn:
Hello I have found how to disable the secure boot and enable the launch of CSM. Therefore I can continue with my Macrium and its Linux disc. I am relieved. Peter
I wanted to share something with you and see if you can correct me with it. This has to do with Win 8.1 and UEFI. If you use Macrium with the new Win PE 4.0 disc it seems the easiest way to image the system and files and folders and recover them. if you don't use the disc, you can disable UEFI and use the boot as you used to with the older BIOS. There is an image a recovery in Win 8.1 and I think you go to the control panel and type file history. Look to the lower left and you see system image. I think you can create the image there and recover it in change pc settings adv. etc. etc. till you see recover image. I don't know if you have to do anything special to recover. I think you can still make a rescue disc here but again don't know if you need to make any adjustments. Peter
you always need a boot cd of some type when restoring an os image.

the only thing that's been removed from my understanding is the graphical user interface for using the backup imaging utilities in win8.1, so no pretty pictures and click, click, click and your done. :D

this is how you backup and restore a win8.1 hard drive image. :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbLsvIk47CE

if i was you peter i'd stick to what you know and carry on using the macrium reflect software to do your imaging.

:popcorn:
With Win 8.1 abandoning the old image and recovery there is another way to image without the difficulty of the shell and command prompts.

Open control panel and type file history. Look to the lower left and see create image.

I just don't know if recovery is done in Windows via chance pc settings> adv.> etc. > recover an image.

Teri
I noticed a couple of things. One is although you don't have this hardware your experience has led to a broad understanding of it and the related software.

I do not have a Win 8.1 machine so am so doing UEFI related issues the hard way.
Many do not have the Win 8.1 machines so are waiting.

For many without the experience or the machine some discussions go round and round. Thank you for your continued support..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI