Hello
When I want to create a rescue disc I have always chosen Linux as it sems easier.
Is there an advantage in selecting Bart PE? The latter seems harder to make and do not need to bother with it if both are of equal value.
Thank you
For what OS or do yo mean it for multiple OSes? I think the best rescue disk around is UBCD4WIN (Ulitmate Boot CD for Windows). It's a BartPE spin off/follow on. When you boot it, you are running XP. Lots of tools included.
Requires that you have a XP Install CD. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.
I have both disks.
You can do a heck of a lot of things with UBD, but it's fairly Techy and not very user friendly for the average PC owner. If you are having trouble making a Bart PE disk Peter, don't even think about trying to use UBD.
Bart PE is very easy to use and is a Linux based disk. I'd re-read the simple to follow instructions (print them out) and have another go at creating one. It's a great rescue disk to have!
Cheers,
Lee
Win xp , sp3
I do have luck with the Linux rescue disc but wish to see how BartPE works.
At my level I don't think I'd go past that, right now.
Today I will see what I can do to create + utilize the BartPE.
I'll see if there is an advantage over the LInux rescue disc.
Question, I know the Linux rescue disc I made for Macrcium is specific to Macrium;is the BartPE specific to a program or can it be used for other purposes?
Thanx all
>>P.S. BartsPE seems only to apply up to Win XP unless I am mistaken.
As I am moving to Win 7 is it not true I will not need it?
Peter,
Barts PE is a self contained Windows based operating system, that can be used to access your hard drive and try to effect repairs when the ordinary Windows operating system just can't be persuaded to boot up ( not even into safe mode)
In the workshop most technicians have a range of tools to enable us to repair machines or copy off important data when they won't otherwise boot.
Some are Linux based some Windows based…( I had better add "etc" here!)
However for the average person if they have a good verified disc image kept safe on removable media and a boot disc that will enable them to mount ( access) their external USB hard drive ( where most folks keep their disaster recovery disc image) then they will have a fine method of getting a completely "borked" system ( technical term !) that is suffering from software or operating system problems up and running again by way of the disc image in less time than it takes to walk the dog!
The acid test of the boot disc is this:
Will it allow you to boot up the machine and reimage the hard drive from a disc image kept on removable media?
If it will, then….. Hooray! and you should be OK.
Incidentally Win7 has its own, native (built in) facility to make a disc image…..
Also the Bart disc or a Linux type boot disc can be used to boot practically any PC…. the boot disc contains its own "built in" operating system
Hi Paws
You put it all together.
>Will it allow you to boot up the machine and reimage the hard drive from a disc image kept on removable media?
>>Yes. I shall continue to use the Linux rescue discs I have created at this point yet continue to do reareach.
>Incidentally Win7 has its own, native (built in) facility to make a disc image…..
>>I undertsand it is not a program you would want to use unless it varies with the version of Windows you choose.
Is it worth its sallt?
Thank you again for your advice.
Peter
Win 7 has native support for disc imaging and it works OK…..
Some versions of Vista have native support for disc imaging, but the lower versions and all versions of XP and Win2K do not, so need Third Party applications, like Acronis, Paragon Ghost etc (or one of the many free disc imaging applications that can be downloaded.
More details of the native support within Windows Vista and Windows 7 available here; http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to…e-in-windows-7/
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
That was an encouraging, educational tutorial.
It is good to know the imaging program exists on all versions of Win7.
I don't need bells + whistles so this sounds great to me. Do you think you can pick up a dropped file with this? It appears o but am just checking.
Thanx again for the help.
Peter
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI