Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Getting rid of About Blank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'm on Windows 7 and IE10. I can get to my home page. However when I click on another tab at the top of an Internet Explorer screen to take me to another page it goes to about:blank and the page is blank. If I type in an address then I'm taken to that address .. no problem. What I've been trying to eliminate is getting that about:blank screen. Any ideas? It doesn't do this with Chrome or Mozilla.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hi deconant1,
If you click on a new tab then IE will open at a new blank page in the new tab..... so maybe its doing what it is supposed to do?

However if you click on a link (hyperlink) on a webpage and it doesn't take you to the target but instead loads a new blank page then yes, something is amiss.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yes, it might, but it didn't right after I rec'd the new computer. It would go to my home page (www.google.com), same as when I first click on the E. If there is a link on a webpage and I click then it does take me to that page. No problem there. It's just this one "little" thing ... chose a new tab and get a blank page, instead of the google search engine page. I admit it's not a big deal, but it just started and I had imagined it being an easy fix. However, if it's not, then I can certainly live with it.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ok I understand. You can usually set the page you want the new tab to open with in Internet Explorer if you go here: Start>Control Panel>internet Options>click on General tab>click on Settings (tabs) towards the bottom of the window>look for "when a new tab is opened...open">click down arrow> select "open 1st home page"> Ok you way out, close browser wait a few seconds open the browser again and see if the new settings have become entrenched... if not you may need to reboot (but it shouldn't really be necessary) Let us know if this does the trick for you.... Regards paws PS I'm away on vacation at the moment and using an old borrowed machine so I'm afraid these directions are from memory... hopefully they will give you the right track to work on... :)
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

It WORKED!!!!!!!!! The only deviation I had to make from what you said was to click TAB in the General area instead of SETTINGS. Great job. Thanks much. Enjoy your vacation.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

Glad to hear that you got it to work.. :thumbup: