This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Getting rid of About Blank

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm on Windows 7 and IE10. I can get to my home page. However when I click on another tab at the top of an Internet Explorer screen to take me to another page it goes to about:blank and the page is blank. If I type in an address then I'm taken to that address .. no problem. What I've been trying to eliminate is getting that about:blank screen. Any ideas? It doesn't do this with Chrome or Mozilla.
Hi deconant1,
If you click on a new tab then IE will open at a new blank page in the new tab….. so maybe its doing what it is supposed to do?

However if you click on a link (hyperlink) on a webpage and it doesn't take you to the target but instead loads a new blank page then yes, something is amiss.
Regards
paws
Yes, it might, but it didn't right after I rec'd the new computer. It would go to my home page (www.google.com), same as when I first click on the E. If there is a link on a webpage and I click then it does take me to that page. No problem there. It's just this one "little" thing … chose a new tab and get a blank page, instead of the google search engine page. I admit it's not a big deal, but it just started and I had imagined it being an easy fix. However, if it's not, then I can certainly live with it.
Ok I understand. You can usually set the page you want the new tab to open with in Internet Explorer if you go here: Start>Control Panel>internet Options>click on General tab>click on Settings (tabs) towards the bottom of the window>look for "when a new tab is opened…open">click down arrow> select "open 1st home page"> Ok you way out, close browser wait a few seconds open the browser again and see if the new settings have become entrenched… if not you may need to reboot (but it shouldn't really be necessary) Let us know if this does the trick for you…. Regards paws PS I'm away on vacation at the moment and using an old borrowed machine so I'm afraid these directions are from memory… hopefully they will give you the right track to work on… :)
It WORKED!!!!!!!!! The only deviation I had to make from what you said was to click TAB in the General area instead of SETTINGS. Great job. Thanks much. Enjoy your vacation.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI