This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

PROBLEMS WITH HARDWIRE TO DESKTOP FROM ROUTER

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently just got DSL. My cable plugs into the back of my wireless router and I have wireless internet til no end on any of the 4 laptops in the house with OS's from XP,Vista and Windows 7. When I connected my desktop hardwired to the router if you watch on the task bar it says that the connection is connected but when I open IE8 on my desktop it says there is a connection problem. If I take my DSL line and unplug it from the router and plug it into my ethernet card it will connect and I have internet that works perfect. When I was on the phone with tech support with my ISP he had my to do a ipconfig. One thing that he could not figure was that on two of the IP address was the address 169.254.226.127 which is not a good address for connecting to the internet. Can anyone help with this please?
Something is interfering with your computer's ability to pull a usable IP address from your router.

Suspect:
  • Malware
  • Internet Security Software
  • TCP Stack Corruption

You didn't specify what OS, or what you have done to try to resolve the issue. Have you made any scans for malware, what anti-virus/internet security software are you running, have you had any recent warnings, pop-ups or other problems?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI