This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New cable modem cant find network

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

First let me apologize ahead of time but I am totally ignorant about networking. :( I just installed a new cable modem….this computer is plugged directly into the cable modem and then i have a wireless router for the other pcs in our home. When I first plugged in just the modem it would not connect - so I then plugged in the router and was then able to connect to the internet however I could no longer find my previous network "name"…….I tried to join a "Homegroup" but that just gave me options to share this computer. The status indicated that it is "joined" now but it's not in the group name that i want. I am using Windows 7. When I click "connect to a network" it does not give my old network name as an option…. I just want to connect to my old network and get rid of this new one that i created. The other pcs are able to get onto the internet just fine under the old network name so although things are functioning I still am not happy that this main computer is not with that group. Please advise what I might do to get things back to normal - I would have never messed with any of this but our cable company recently started charging a monthly fee for their modems so we thought it would be better just to buy one. Would you please consider my acknowledged ignorance in your replies. Thanks in advance!
How many PCs? Are they all running Windows 7 or are some Vista /XP? If so then you can't use Homegroup so you need to use WORKGROUP which is probably what you had before.

You need to make the WORKGROUP name the same on this computer as it is on the other computers. Read here, see if it helps:
Join or create a workgroup
thank you Ztruker - we have two laptops and three desktops - three running Windows 7 and the others XP Pro - - i think that "Homegroup - Workgroup" info might be the key……. i'll read that article & hope that it will help me sort it all out! :) i'll report back if i have more questions etc. Thanks again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI