This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot uninstall AVG

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been trying to uninstall AVG so I can download and use Avast It has been uninstalling for over a 1/2 hour. It keeps giving me this message, and I have no idea what other program it is uninstalling. What should I do and how do I find out if it is uninstalling another program. I have gone through the control panel and Revo. 📎avg.PNG I decided to shut down my computer, but AVG is still there, except when I started it up again which took quite a long time, these are the errors I get 📎Dll_error.PNG This post is on here a couple of times and i am sorry for that. I went to edit it and get rid of one, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Sorry! ]
Trying to find out what may be going on is a minor detail IMO, the fact you have tried to uninstall it and encountered issues, probably means the next uninstall attempt won't find the files it needs to complete this, so IMHO it's far simpler to start from a different angle.

To start with you should ALWAYS download any protection that you will be using BEFORE removing the existing, otherwise it means you have no cover of that type while getting the replacement, another factor with uninstalling anti viruses is what's left behind, many are renowned for leaving stuff behind (some far more than others), and this can have a massive impact on installing it's replacement, so it is always worth checking out about such issues, and many have utility's you can download and use to remove ALL what's left, and these are not shouted from the rooftops, so you need to look carefully.

So in simple terms:-
Find out what uninstaller clean up files that may apply to what your removing (anti virus ones that is).
Download ALL files needed to remove, AND replace what you are changing.
Uninstall the old, if you have a problem as you were here, try uninstalling in safe mode (it doesn't always work).
Next run the clean up utility.
Then finally install the new anti virus (do this from normal windows, NOT safe mode).

That should get you the best result.
So assuming you have nothing prepared here are your files:-
Download Avast Here, Important Note; Make sure you ALWAYS select the FREE version wherever you get it from, it will try and talk you into getting the paid for version, and offer a free trial of the paid version upon installation of the free one, this will only lead to confusion later on when you start getting warnings about cover ending, so it's easiest to stick with free from the start, unless you actually want the paid for version, so watch out for small print and tick boxes throughout.

Download AVG clean up tool Here, Important Note; they list numerous files on the page, the top 4 are the ones you need to concentrate on, you need to identify 2 factors to choose the right file, these are down to if your running 32 bit or the 64 bit version, and if you are removing the 2012 version, or the 2013 one, once you know these 2 answers you can select the file you need from the page.
So in simple terms:- Find out what uninstaller clean up files that may apply to what your removing (anti virus ones that is). Download ALL files needed to remove, AND replace what you are changing. Uninstall the old, if you have a problem as you were here, try uninstalling in safe mode (it doesn't always work). Next run the clean up utility. Then finally install the new anti virus (do this from normal windows, NOT safe mode). Wow = ran into problems starting in safe mode, don't want to do that again. I really don't understand much of what you said, even in your simple terms. What uninstaller clean up files????? I have revo to uninstall. What cleanup utility I think I will keep AVG on there, I don't want to goof things up. But can you tell me how to get rid of the run DLL errors Thanks.
I know safe mode can really through you when you first see it, but the reason it is often suggested when uninstalling a program, that just won't uninstall in normal windows due to having some unseen addition using it, and blocking your attempt to uninstall, in safe mode it only runs the most absolute basic devices\drivers required to run, and in this state it's highly unlikely anything will be blocking your uninstall.
That said, there are also occasion's where you can not use safe mode for this, and that's when a program is unable to work in safe mode, other than that it should make problem uninstalls easier, but there are exceptions.

Now to make things a bit clearer, if you could tell us what operating system your running this on, and if it is a 64bit or 32bit version, then I can be more precise with the uninstaller you need.

Anti Virus programs often leave lots of files behind when uninstalled using normal methods, and some anti virus programs can see these remnants when you try to install them, and often refuse to install because it has found the left over files of the previous program, in fact some programs are renowned for this, but the good news is most of them (certainly the big names) have clean up utility files you can download and run, and these remove the left over files, meaning you can install the new anti virus without any risk of conflict.

So while I am waiting for your operating system reply, go and get the Avast I linked above (Free Version), and save them to your desktop, or anywhere that you will find easily, then I will run through each in turn for you.
I have windows 8 32 bytes I will just sit here for a few until I hear from you. I have the above links on the computer, but haven't downloaded them yet
Right that's probably why your in a mess, I have only just started looking at this new OS, and unlike previous versions, this one comes with protection built into it from the start, so by installing another anti virus it means you could be running 2 at the same time, and if this is true then that is very bad, and can leave you exposed etc. Now the removal tool you need is either:- AVG Remover(32bit) 2013 (avg_remover_stf_x86_2013_3341.exe); The first link\option OR AVG Remover(32bit) 2012 (avg_remover_stf_x86_2012_2125.exe); The 3rd link\option The difference between them is whether or not your using the 2012, or 2013 version of their anti virus software, you only need the 1 tool, and if this is a recent file you got it's possible it's the 2013 anti virus version, but do check and get the appropriate version. But do NOT install another anti virus, it is already built into the system from what I have seen, I will have a search and try to confirm, but I guess your using the standard win 8 version, as opposed to the pro version ?
I don't know what i did, but avg is gone. I could not find it under the programs listed on Revo, so i thought i would just go to the control panel again. I went to uninstall and it brought up a completely different screen that I have never seen before. I clicked on uninstall and it is gone!!!! As you said above though, there can be leftover files, so I would like to check that also. I have no antivirus on my computer now. I did turn Windows Defender back on though I still have the dll error message though
I think our messages crossed each other. yes Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, but as soon as soon as you install another antivirus, it automatically turns off windows defender. From what I had read, windows defender wasn't that good and when I ran malwarebytes, I was getting about 60 threats, which is why I search and found avg was good as was avast. So there is only one running at the time. I am using the standard version of windows 8
Here is a link with some info about it:-
Windows 8 Security: What's New
Antivirus on Windows 8: Looking at Your Options
Windows 8: Explore new and improved security features

But from what your saying it sounds like you have now uninstalled it, but it's still advisable to get the clean up utility from them to clear out the bits you can't see, and dependent on what was installed, it can be a considerable number, just try and recall if it was the 2012 or 2013 version you had installed, and get that tool as described above, the dll error is probably best dealt with using a repair option.

How To Use SFC /Scannow to Repair Protected Windows Operating System Files.

The above sounds like the best tool to try first, they clearly take you step by step through what to do, which is simply open the CMD prompt (the DOS screen part), then I suggest copying the sfc command and pasting it into the DOS window, and hit enter, that's it as best I can see, hopefully that should solve those errors, hope it helps.
Curse my slow typing lol, yes it does appear you can use another tool, but I would want to make sure it did not conflict with the existing, I am only just starting to look and deal with windows 8, as such there are many things I need to do before I gain a better understanding of what's what. And yes defender was a joke when first released, I always disabled it, but now defender is the best it's ever been, and depending where you look, it is right up there with the best, some even claim it's better than other tools, but this area of what's best is always changing, what's good today, may not be tomorrow, you would need one of the pro's to advise on what's best to do in this area, as they are the ones who deal with this regularly, so are on the cutting edge kind of, so their advice is the best you can get to do with such protection.

Here is a link with some info about it:-
Windows 8 Security: What's New
Antivirus on Windows 8: Looking at Your Options
Windows 8: Explore new and improved security features

But from what your saying it sounds like you have now uninstalled it, but it's still advisable to get the clean up utility from them to clear out the bits you can't see, and dependent on what was installed, it can be a considerable number, just try and recall if it was the 2012 or 2013 version you had installed, and get that tool as described above, the dll error is probably best dealt with using a repair option.

How To Use SFC /Scannow to Repair Protected Windows Operating System Files.

The above sounds like the best tool to try first, they clearly take you step by step through what to do, which is simply open the CMD prompt (the DOS screen part), then I suggest copying the sfc command and pasting it into the DOS window, and hit enter, that's it as best I can see, hopefully that should solve those errors, hope it helps.


I don't know what tool you are talking about and also you said to get the clean up utility from them. Who is them? I read the links you gave me, but they didn't mention how to get rid of dll. I would never try to do the sfc command thing on my own. I have done it with the help of forums on my old computer, but never on my own. I am not computer literate enough to try it and am afraid I would make things worse!!! Thanks.
The first 3 links were to explain about the built in protection that Windows 8 has, the last link was instructions on how to do the sfc command, but I have not tried it on Windows 8, as I have only just started dabbling with it. The clean up tool comes form the anti virus makers, in this case AVG (them), you just need to recall if it was the 2012, or 2013 version of AVG, then I can tell you exactly what clean up tool to get, I realise just how overwhelming things like this can be for some people at times, I remember what I was like when I started to use PC's, but slow and steady, a step at a time and you will get there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI