I had some serious issues with viruses, spyware, malware, etc., etc. At one point I installed the AVG software. Now I want to uninstall it and go back to my original McAfee. I have been trying forever to remove it with no success. I have followed the instructions on the AVG website, all to no avail. Currently I seem to have it all uninstalled with the exception of several .dll files that just will not go away. It seems that I need to go into SAFE mode to remove them. Once in SAFE mode, how do I remove? Help?
You said you were following the instructions on the AVG website for the removal. Just to be sure, were you using their removal tool? If not here is the link:
http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Just to add another alternative a/v to Tallin's suggestion there is also Avira which has free and pay for versions: http://www.free-av.com/
I also had problems completely uninstalling AVG. Make sure you navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data
where USERNAME is your user, and delete any folder associated with AVG, such as Grisoft (the company name).
Also if you have located the .dlls, you can use Hi Jack This to delete the files on reboot.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI