Hi all, it's been a long time since I've been here! I just got myself a brand new compaq presario. Definately a small pc but fine for my needs (web browsing, ebay, email, that's about it!). I'm hoping to get some advice on setting it up. I'd like to un-install the Nortons it came with and install AVG, and also will not be purchasing MSWorks at this time and would like to install open office. I've already downloaded firefox which will be my primary browser.
Are there any other things I should be doing right away to ensure the proper performance of my new PC? (And, if I've posted in the wrong forum, please let me know!)
Thanks so much!
Hi all, it's been a long time since I've been here! I just got myself a brand new compaq presario. Definately a small pc but fine for my needs (web browsing, ebay, email, that's about it!). I'm hoping to get some advice on setting it up. I'd like to un-install the Nortons it came with and install AVG, and also will not be purchasing MSWorks at this time and would like to install open office. I've already downloaded firefox which will be my primary browser.
Are there any other things I should be doing right away to ensure the proper performance of my new PC? (And, if I've posted in the wrong forum, please let me know!)
Thanks so much!
Hi 'bensmumma'
Along with other suggestions made to you on in this thread, the most important is your firewall. I would recommend Zone Alarm free from http://filehippo.com/ There you can pick and choose all you need. I also recommend AVG Antispyware and CWShredder.
You can also download the Update Checker from there on the right hand side at the top to keep your software up to date. Just run it once a month to be up to date with all installed software programs.
Don't forget to update your Java Runtime Environment the latest is 1.6.03 also found on the above site.
kind regards,
Edit
Are there any other things I should be doing right away to ensure the proper performance of my new PC? (And, if I've posted in the wrong forum, please let me know!)
It is patch Tuesday today here in Australia, but for most others it will be tomorrow, so make sure you update your MS Updates before you do another thing.
For the Norton removal tool, it's asking which version I have, I'm guessing I have 2007? How can I check? I've "right clicked" and looked at the properties but it's not specified there.
For the Norton removal tool, it's asking which version I have, I'm guessing I have 2007? How can I check? I've "right clicked" and looked at the properties but it's not specified there.
if double click on the norton icon by the clock it should show the version ,if not go get Belarc Advisor it will show all programs on you computer ,it should show norton version . http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe
hi bensmumma,
Its a fine thing to have a nice new shiny computer and as it's "straight out of the box" so to speak, it's probably running fast and sweet. It's probably not had enough time or work to start accumulating all the stuff that slows down a computer once its gets used a bit.. (not to mention all the nasty viruses and the like that are around)
Its probably running really well now and with all your favourite applications loaded, the operating system updated, your firewall and antivirus/spyware updated and on top line, and browser and email working well.
Long may this state continue, but it might be wise to consider making a disc image using an application like Ghost, Paragon, Drive Image, Acronis or similar, so if in the future you ever hit a problem that cannot be overcome easily by the usual means, you can just put your machine back to the state it was in when you took the disc image.
I hope you never need to use it in anger but it could just be a real help to you if things should ever go badly wrong.
Enjoy your new machine.
Regards
paws
Paws, thanks for reminding me about the disk image! I need to get some dvd's tomorrow to do a backup too, before I get too crazy here! My last pc, which still runs but as slow as molasses, is 9 years old, had only 128 mb of ram, and a 20 g hd , only lasted as long as it did becasue of this forum, which helped me through the worst of the spyware problems. Once I learned about firefox and took explorer off the desktop, we had no further problems! (Of course I was using better spyware/av too…)
I haven't loaded any software yet other than the avg and zone alarm. tonight I'll work on spybot, spywareblaster, ad-aware, do I need avg spyware too?
There are things on the pc that I could care less about(HP Total care advisor), things that I'll get used to, (widgets), things that I love about vista compared to xp… I hope I don't drive you all crazy with questions…
The one thing I could not live without is HJT so I recomend getting it put it in its own folder in C:\ and if you ever God forbid but if you do it is there handy and waiting, like a good ol friend.
I recomend looking here as per IE or FF and make your own decision but dont just think IE is the bad guy
Something I came accross one day is mike Lins startup monitor. I think it is a great thing. He has some cool gizmos out there so look him up but the startup monitor is one I like best…it tells you who wants to go right into your computer on boot up and then always be in the start up list, now you can say no first if you want. bad explination but you get the picture
PS wanna buy me one?? =)
HAHA Circuit City had a great deal that day! Of course they try to sell you all kinds of software too… would you believe that last night after telling a friend on the phone, that I'd gotten a new pc, she said "Oh, I wish I'd known, I have a 2 year old mac we never use I'd have been happy to give you…" ! Shhhh don't tell anyone, I really wanted a mac but it's way out of my price range…
This morning when I got up the computer would not wake up from "sleep". I had to turn it off by holding the power button in, and then turn it back on. It did awake instantly then, as if I had just woken it up the normal way. Is this usual with vista?
I asure you I am NOT a pro when it comes to computers. I have learned all from here and the trial and error method.
What I know of Vista is that it can be a pain and harder then needs to be. As for the sleep thing I had the same issue with it on my xp so I turned it off forever!
Most places have a 30 day return policy some dont check it out and get the mac! I would but then again vista has some really cool points.
I know of a person that went on youtube and did like a 60 day trial of vista and gave some great pointers and some complaints. you might look it up.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI