Hello
I just read that it is advisable to not delete the recovery partition.
When I first got my desktop with Win 7 a Dell tech did just that as she had control of my pc.
I am now running Win 8 and plan on getting 8.1
If I wanted to regain this recovery partition, could I use the dvd I created when I first got the pc?.
My thinking is this would create the recovery partition and then I could properly install Win 8, then 8.1
Lastly, is it worth all this to regain this partition?
Thank you
Peter
Definitely not worth doing. As long as you have a means of installing a working OS then the Recovery Partition is not needed. I know you have good image backups so it gains you nothing.
The discs you made when you first got the computer would recreate the Recovery Partition along with the boot partition. If you ever decided to sell the computer then I would say use them.
I understand and your advice makes good sense.
If I sold it, should I run Dban first then use the discs or would they not work after Dban?
Thank you, R.
Tried to enter that you have helped so many but cannot find out where to do it.
Also, tried to click to 'make friend' but cannot see where to do this either.
.
Click on my name at left and Add Friend is one of the choices.
>>When I click on your name the only choice is, "See member profile". I do remember seeing ' Add a friend' once but not here.
I have scoured your profile too.
Now I am curious why I cannot find the obvious.
If I have already done it in the past maybe that is the reason.
I agree WTT does not have a rating or praise feature. It is too bad those who have done so much to help cannot be recognized; easy for me to say but perhaps difficult for mods to create.
Like you said though, maybe you have already done this? I can't find any place to look at my friends list. I thought there was one but I can't find it now.
I had to erase my reply and do a fresh full edit.
Using FF instead of MSIE I was able to see my name in your profile.
I am not sure but it appears the browser was the issue.
Can't wait for 8.1!
I have 8.1 preview and it's no big deal. Minimal changes, some good, some not. I'm not expecting a lot and since I can install the 64bit version of 8.1 I will not be upgrading anyway. All I can install is the 32bit version due to BIOS hardware emulation requirements they added in 8.1 that were not in 8.
I have a 64 bit laptop + a 64 bit desktop with the old BIOS, both about 2 1/2 years old.
I have installed Win 8 and have the disc.
.
As a side note, I have to install the Office program as 64 bit(long story).
Can I accept the update in Aug and continue as I am or do I need to change something? I cannot run Office for example as 32 bit.
I am not sure whether to revert to 7, stay at 8, or move to 8.1 regarding the bit issue.
I am reading your post over and am a bit confused.
In 8.1, Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom, removed the code in the kernel that older computer like mine needed to support LAHF/SAHF nor does it support PrefetchW.
Your computer will be okay I'm sure since it's quite new compared to my Dell Precision 370. If you like 8 then definitely move to 8.1 when it's available.
I read you material and am sorry to hear about the demise of your old pc friend.
Thank you for the advice as I was not sure what to do with this UFEI or whatever it is which I do not have.
I will be allowing the update to 8.1 as I do not use their imaging program anyway.
Thank you - R.
Peter
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI