My question is if I do this can I be sure that the clean install will not erase my D: drive recovery partition. I don't want this erased at all. Just the C drive. Please let me know so that I can sure if it is safe to proceed. Thanks.
Nope!
as it depends on how you correctly and accurately you perform the install, if you make a mistake then you could destroy your recovery partition.
Always make a disc image of what is important to you, (Your Recovery Partition for example) verify it, make an extra copy on removable media, keep it safe on removable media….Have a bootable CD handy that you know will allow you to boot your computer and access your disc image(s) and reimage..if things go wrong.
Then at least you have a fall back position if the worst should happen….
Good luck
Regards
paws
Nope!
as it depends on how you correctly and accurately you perform the install, if you make a mistake then you could destroy your recovery partition.
Always make a disc image of what is important to you, (Your Recovery Partition for example) verify it, make an extra copy on removable media, keep it safe on removable media….Have a bootable CD handy that you know will allow you to boot your computer and access your disc image(s) and reimage..if things go wrong.
Then at least you have a fall back position if the worst should happen….
Good luck
Regards
paws
Thank you for your response paws. Could you tell me what the benefits are of doing a clean install with an upgrade cd? I mean will it really make that much of a difference if I do it just without the clean install? Because My opsys came preloaded on the computer from the company and I can't make an image of it to restore it. Even if I could I couldn't make the drive the way the company did because I don't have a Windows Vista opsys cd or anything like that. Is it really worth it to try this? I am leery of doing anything that could destroy my recovery partition. Thanks for any help you can give.
Because My opsys came preloaded on the computer from the company and I can't make an image of it to restore it. Even if I could I couldn't make the drive the way the company did because I don't have a Windows Vista opsys cd or anything like that
There's nothing to stop you making a disc image…..its what I recommend that folks always do……With a disc image if you want to reimage you don't need your Vista CD, just a bootable CD that will let you access the image files kept (hopefully) on removable media…..an external USB hard drive is excellent for this.
This is your Fallback position if, heavens forbid, anything goes wrong. You can make a disc image of your complete hard drive all partitions) if you want)
On the question of which is the better method……fresh install ( clean or upgrade) folks have different views, but do remember that you can only upgrade a 32 bit to 32bit Win 7 or a Vista 64 bit to Win 7 64 bit……..you can't upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit……for that you would need to do a clean install
I always favour a clean install, so I know everything has been cleared 100%….( I also keepall my application installation discs and downloaded executables with serial numbers and all my driver files and am happy to reinstall all my applications for a sweet and smooth running system however some folks have different views…….. time to fire up your favourite search engine with the search string
"advantages for clean install+Win 7"