Hello
Because it is next to impossible to get an operating system disc when you buy a new pc, is it reasonable to purchase a pc without an operatig system, and then buy Windows 7 or 8 etc…. at a retail store?
I had to format in the past and the recovery partition was deleted; it is a good thing I had the disc.
If you get a retail disc and a pc with no operating system, is there anything else to do like formatting before installation?
Thank you
Most retail stores do not sell systems without a OS already installed.
The reason no OS disc is included with most new systems now is the recovery partition which holds not only the OS but all the original drivers and programs that were installed at the factory.
Deleting that partition basically means you would need to purchase a OEM version of the OS that was originally installed so you would have not only the serial number for the disk you purchased but also you could use the serial number that was included with the system originally.
You could purchase a system through NewEgg or TigerDirect without a OS and then yes you would need to purchase the OS disk also. You would need to partition and then format the hard drive in order to install the OS but during the installation process you will be given those steps.
You can download any version of Windows 7 legally and free from Digital River.
I believe the same will be true for Windows 8 when it's released.
For most manufacturers, it might be better to order the Recovery Discs from them and also download a clean copy with SP1 already integrated, that way you have all the bases covered.
The nice part about the manufacturers Recovery disc is it will also recreate the Recovery Partition on the hard drive. The bad part is it will also install all the crapware but that can be removed fairly easily.
if i remember correctly you only lost your recovery partition because you used a retail copy of win 7 to do a re-install before you knew it was possible to do the clean install using the function keys and the hidden partition, which of course wouldn't have erased your hidden partition,
that aside,
the first thing anyone should do now with a new pc, is to use the backup feature and create both a backup image (usually takes about 4 dvd's) of the hard drive and a system repair disc. (i'd also make a copy of those discs for extra peace of mind)
then even if you need to replace the hard drive you can use the backup dvd's to put everything back on it as if it just came from the store, including the hidden partition.
there really is no need to download or buy a copy of win7 if you take those steps, it's nice to know now tho, that you can download a copy of win7 legally and use it to do an install, whereas before your only option was to borrow or buy a copy of the windows os you needed to re-install.
there really is no need to download or buy a copy of win7 if you take those steps, it's nice to know now tho, that you can download a copy of win7 legally and use it to do an install, whereas before your only option was to borrow or buy a copy of the windows os you needed to re-install.
Remember this will only work if you have a serial number legally that came with your system. Without that you would still be stuck and have to purchase the key from Microsoft. What seems to be a good ideal actually has some limitation that requires you to own a key.
First, thank you all.
Secondly, I will try to be brief;
1-A tech at dell removed my recovery partition while she had control of my pc a long time ago. We were both wrong.
2-I currently have os discs for both machines but was thinking ahead (hypothetically).
3-If I have this right, I can download Windows for free from Digital River and ?burn to disc.
4-Nothing usually being free I would need to buy a license from MS?
5-It is usually not possible to buy a pc without an os.
6-Can the dvds you make, still work without the recovery partition, as in the one the tech removed?
7-redundantly, the dvds made when you 1st get the pc supplant the os disc regardless of the partion and perhaps replace it when installed.
8-A good image with Acronis right after purchase is a good idea to keep on a large usb drive.
I hope this is not one of my naive lengthy threads -believe me, I am trying to get it!
4-Nothing usually being free I would need to buy a license from MS?
Wrong because you should already have a license that is on a sticker on your system. If a desktop it usually is on the side and if a laptop check the bottom. It will show the original OS installed along with the serial number.
6-Can the dvds you make, still work without the recovery partition, as in the one the tech removed?
Yes but your partition will be the whole drive. This is why I suggested purchasing the recovery disk from the manufacturer and as Ztrucker said it would recreate the recovery partition like before.
I have one partiton as far as I know on the desktop which is at home.
I will send you a prntscrn when I am home.
Attached is the prntscr of my laptop which still has the recovery partiton.
My desktop was configured similarly until the restore partition was removed.
So if I use the 2 dvds I made for the desktop when I bought it, it would restore it to factory conditions, even if the restore partiton has been removed?
Remember I do have the os disc for both pcs so this is IF I bought a new pc.
This information will help me make decisions for future purchases.
My son has the Google notebook which has virtually nothing in it. He just goes to the cloud and works on Google docs etc there.
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 9 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.
Please see post # 10 >This information will help me make decisions for future purchases.
I apologize for dropping the ball here as I have always followed up on my threads until a resolution is reached.
I have often asked questions hypothetically so i will be prepared for events that probably will occer based upon my history and circumstances.
This forum has allowed me to fill a folder with useful information and I consider it a valuable resource.