This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Microsoft Lifecam Cinema

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Guys… I've got a problem installing a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema Webcam. I've searched on this site but I can't find a solution. Details - Samsung R40 running XP Home SP3 and also Dell GX280 running XP Pro SP3. I'm getting an error installing the Lifecam. In device manager imaging devices there's the entry "Microsoft Lifecam Cinema" with no error flags. In device manager sound, video and game controllers there's the entry "Cinema - Microsoft Lifecam" with a yellow excamation point. Installing is accompanied by the message "The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later." I've looked in Sytem32, Inf, Drivers etc with no luck. On re-installing the drivers - still the same error. On following all the fixes on the Microsoft Knowledge Base nothing works. Microsoft admit to a problem but don't provide a solution. I've even removed all references to Logitech webcams from the registry as Microsoft are blaming an installation of Logitech Webcams for causing the problem. The webcam used to work before I ran Revo uninstaller to remove some software on both PCs so I suspect Revo removed something that was actually needed. On Googling the error message it seems that there is a driver missing: - USB\Vid_045e&Pid_075d&Rev_0105&MI_02 It's a ell documented problem. I've ran Advanced Driver Updater and it downloads Lifecam drivers but the problem remains. I've also contacted Uniblue (I've got a subscription as well) who have uploaded this driver to their database but it won't download and install. I've tried finding this driver in the XP install disk cab files but no luck. I've even tried fo find it by pulling a C: drive from another PC and searching through that. The next thing to try is to rebuild a Dell C640 laptop from bits I have lying around and install a clean version of XP and see if this works. Otherwise, I still have the original 40 Gig drive from the GX280 with an original build of XP and I could stick that in and try it. I've attempted a "free" download of this driver from various sites and all they do is force you to install all sorts of unwanted software then try to charge you for the download. I don't particularly want to re-install XP but I will If I have to. I'd be most grateful if anyone has a copy of this driver they could let me have, together with how to install it. What I don't understand is that when hardware manufacturers (Lifecam) know that certain drivers, inf, dlls and the like are needed, why do they assume that they are already on the PC? Why can't they include them in the install software with a check to see where the latest version is? Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I've been using and building PCs for the last fifteen years and this is the first time I've been stumped. Best wishes Malcolm

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI