Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Sharing Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Okay I'm wanting to share my internet connection with my neighbor who's house is roughly 100ft away. In my house I've got a desktop a laptop or two a home media server and an android phone here and there. In his house a laptop desktop and an xbox360 and an android. Just wanting to know if anyone has any good suggestion on what to buy. Thanks Jeremy

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Do you trust your neighbor and there kids or friends? Anything downloaded will be on your IP. Its also no doubt buried somewhere in the Terms of Service that your ISP will frown on this arrangement. Some ISP's may also have monthly bandwidth caps which you could exceed depending on bandwidth usage.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

yeah I trust my neighbors. and I don't see using too much bandwidth either of us are downloaders.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Assuming you already have a wireless access point and your neighbor has wireless capabilities then its as simple as your neighbor joining your access point after you provide the pass-phrase. Your neighbors machine should detect and list the wireless access points in range then its just the correct pass-phrase thats needed to join the network.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?