This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

help setting up a home network

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

We all fight over internet time on our PC. how can I set up my laptop so we can use it at the same time? (without a cable, please) Do I need to buy a router? PC has Vista home with realtek ethernet . laptop is XP with Wi Fi, but we connect to the internet with my cell phone/usb port.
Sorry, nut I don't understand your question. You said

how can I set up my laptop so we can use it at the same time?

Do you mean you want more than one person to be able to use a single computer (the laptop) at the same time. If so this can't be done.

If you mean you want multiple computers to share your internet access then yes, you need a router. Since you have a laptop, I would recommend a wireless router. It will support muliplt wireless connections as well as up to 4 wired Ethernet connections.
Okay, thanks. What kind of wireless router? I just did a search and came up with at least 20 different brands all with different specifications. What type of wireless router will fit my needs?
Thanks for the link! I was trying to set up an internet connection sharing in Windows to share the cellphone connection, using the wifi as the "inside" LAN, but just can't get it to work. I'm tired of messing with it. I think the router will be the easiest solution.

Thanks for the link!
I was trying to set up an internet connection sharing in Windows to share the cellphone connection,
using the wifi as the "inside" LAN, but just can't get it to work. I'm tired of messing with it.
I think the router will be the easiest solution.



:smack: Yes, internet connection sharing is real problematic.

EDIT: You can't share your cell phone connection. At least not easily unless you want to fuss with internet connection sharing. A router will not help you. As expensive and slow as a cellular "high speed" connection is, have you considered a standard high speed internet connection such as cable or DSL?
Thanks for the input, appleoddity, but I'm waaaayy out in the sticks. A 'high speed' cell connection is alot better than 'no speed' dial-up.
I understand. I just wanted to clarify that you are using a cellular USB adapter that is completely different than a standard high speed internet connection and that the suggestion to use a router isn't going to solve your problem in this particular case. The reason being that you can't plug the cellular USB adapter into the router like you can other high speed connections. It has to be shared out from the computer it is plugged in to which makes a real pain of things. Once you share it out on the computer, then you could use a router to make that sharing work for all other computers on your network including wireless. But, now you are really getting complicated. :)
1. Get a PCI NIC for pc 2. Get a Crossover ethernet cable 3. Run Crossover ethernet cable from PC to laptop 4. Setup internet connection sharing Or 1. Get wireless PCI Card for pc 2. Connect to PC via Adhoc mode 3. Setup internet connection sharing Just off the top of my head that is what i can think of. I am not sure if option 2 will work but if i am not mistaken it will. Either way you do it gonna run you between 25-60 bucks depending on brands and what not.
In my first message I requested a 'no cable connection' so you could could have saved yourself some typing and skipped your first option. I DO have a wireless PCI card in my PC. The 2nd option is what I have been trying to do Its the connecting in adhoc and sharing that I don't understand / can't get to work, that's why I thought a router would be easier, but I guess not.
Here's the link to the full text of recommendation competently offered by DigitalOutlaw:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

Since the previously posted information is copyright - Microsoft, we will provide a link and not a copy of the full text.

Please feel free to reply with questions if your require additional assistance to apply this or other solutions to your machine, operating system and network.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI