This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Home Network Sharing

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Greeting All, Was doing the household PC trickle-down reconfigures this weekend, setting up my old computer for the wife, taking hers and reconfiguring for one of the kids, etc. Have one machine (Dell Dimension E510 with XP) where I can't change the network share name for the C Drive from my wifes name to my kids name. I can highlite it with no problem, but I can't change it. Almost like my keyboard wasn't working (but I did confirm that it was). I've rebooted, ensured I was logged in as administrator and even "unshared" and "shared" again, but still can't get the share name to change. Hoping someone on here might have some insight… I could post the DXDiag that I captured for this machine if that would be of any benefit (although I am a bit concerned that it might have info in it that might allow me to be hacked???)… Thanks, Bob
Thanks Doug… I'll check the computer again, but I'm pretty sure I had already changed the computer name and was attempting to change how it shows up on the network as from what I can recall, they are 2 different entries. I'll post what I find… Bob
Hi Doug, So I got the computer in question here back up and when I went to the Computer Name and Network name window under the properties for the C:\ drive, the network name now was reflected correctly and the same as the Computer Name. I had shut off the computer after making the posting above and hadn't started it back up until this check, so not sure what happened to allow it to change now, but I am good to go! Thanks, Bob

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI