Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

change in appearance of Firefox desktop shortcuts to websites

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 barebear

barebear

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Firefox website shortcut icons on my desktop now look like the first choice one sees when right clicking a shortcut icon , then left clicking "properties", and then clicking " change icon" -- they should look like a white square with the firefox logo in the center instead of a white square with a little box containing 3 tiny symbols. Here is a screenshot that shows what I'm describing above.Capture.jpg I'm running XP Pro SP3 and Firefox 17 How do I restore the original appearance? Thanks in advance for all help.

Edited by barebear, 25 November 2012 - 02:09 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hi barebear, Sorry to hear about the icon issue woith Mozilla Firefox Navigate to : C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe and see if the correct Icon is there... If it is then then right click on the "incorrect "icon on your desjtop, click on properties> change icon and navigate to the above folder, select the correct icon and Ok your way out.. Post back and let us know what happens Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Also check to see if Firefox is set as the default web browser.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 barebear

barebear

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

For paws and Ztrucker, paws, I already did that --it shows, but when I go to create a new shortcut it still appears as a white box ?! Ztrucker -yes via Tools, etc FF is set as default browser paws , check out the attached screenshot --if I click ok on the box with the blue background, the icon between the 2 windows will change to that, but I have to go through that procedure with every new shortcut icon. Shortcuts made before this problem started don't change.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.jpg

Edited by barebear, 25 November 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#5 barebear

barebear

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Problem resolved with restoration of drive image ( I keep the previous 10 days ) , went to the oldest to stand best chance of successful fix. Still a pain having to reschedule multiple tasks ( like drive imaging and documents folder backup ) and having to re-update multiple softwares. Hope this is an object lesson for all --- IMAGE ! your drive and keep multiple days worth of images! I tried System Restore --LOL it gave message "unable to restore to.." Thanks again to all who responded !

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hi Barebear, Well done, Glad you got it fixed.. :thumbup: Yes having a good disc image is something all folks should consider...and it's something we recommend regularly here on the forums...however it is not taken up by everyone...more's the pity! If your System Restore still isn't working properly then I'd be inclined to run sfc /scannow to repair any damaged or missing Windows protected system files, and if this doesn't help then run the Windows all in one repair tool from tweaking.com (use only the latest version..) You could also consider using Erunt to back up /restore your Registry it's a 30 second job then to restore a damaged Registry.. Post back if you need links to these Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 barebear

barebear

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

For paws,

Thank you --I already have a function that will back up/restore my registry at will -- it's in a great little software called WinMend Registry Cleaner. ( For that matter, they make a bunch of great software worth anyone's checking out http://winmend.com/ ).

I've never had much faith in System Restore --- have had other situations in the past where it failed even after running the sfc/scannow -- even had it worked this time, I 99% likely would have done the image restore anyway because of all the name changes to things that System Restore makes.

I will check out the Windows all in one repair tool -- wasn't aware of it -- thank you for the tip !

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Hi barebear, Its your call of course...but if System Restore is not working correctly then it indicates that some area of Windows is in trouble... in a correctly set up system it works just fine and has rescued folks from a number of "situations" in the past. Some folks like to have it turned offall the time..... and I like that approach... as it often brings more business into my workshop... :D Registry Cleaners/optimisers are not generally recommended here for routine use, as sometimes they can be problematical, however each to his own... Check out and compare the total Registry back up utility provided by Erunt with what you are using currently as it might be of interest. Regards paws

#9 barebear

barebear

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

For paws, I have downloaded Erunt and will install/use it in addition to what I already have --the auto-daily backup feature is very appealing ( I did read the description properly?). I will run sfc/scannow per your advice and at least that way System Restore ( if it's currently corrupted ) will be an available fix. I'm not into registry optimizing at all. I use WinMend for rare cleaning after software uninstalls that I can't do with Your Uninstaller. I also use Regedit intermittently to export backups to my desktop before some software installs; the WinMend tool is just a redundant protection --like having multiple images to restore, when it comes to these sorts of things I find security in redundancy. I won't be able to tell you if sfc/scannow fixes S.R. --I don't want to use it till I need it --I know it's easy to undo restores, but only have so much time.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

:thumbup:

#11 barebear

barebear

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

paws,

Youre gonna love this!

https://support.mozi...s...mp;r=0&as=s

Also check this out !

https://support.mozi...uestions/942316

After going back to my image I am on FF 16 and going to stay there till I / lol we? figure out just what is going on.

I want to stay w/ FF -- can't stand "Internet Exploder"

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi barebear, It all sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for the links... they make interesting reading :thumbup: Regards paws