This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Shortcut icon missing/glitch

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

I'm at this net cafe and I saw a weird bug/glitch. Picture shows everything. The icon for shortcut next to the icons is missing.

[external image: Posted Image]

What the hell is this and how to fix? lol.
Hi uchkur,
I'm not sure what the problem is that you mention….( I don't use icons myself) but what is it that is missing? and where should it be?

next to the icons…

which icons?
Regards
paws

Hi uchkur,
I'm not sure what the problem is that you mention….( I don't use icons myself) but what is it that is missing? and where should it be?

next to the icons…

which icons?
Regards
paws

Here's an updated screenshot with few red arrows pointing to the problem :)

[external image: Posted Image]
Hi uchkur, Thanks I see the icons you have arrowed…. but can't see anything amiss.. What is the problem with them? What is it you want or would like to see that is missing?(or is visible but should not be present? Short cuts generally have a small curved arrow in them ( to indicate they are short cuts….) but this is optional… Regards paws

Hi uchkur, Thanks
I see the icons you have arrowed…. but can't see anything amiss..
What is the problem with them?
What is it you want or would like to see that is missing?(or is visible but should not be present?

Short cuts generally have a small curved arrow in them ( to indicate they are short cuts….) but this is optional…
Regards
paws

The small curved arrow you are talking about is missing and there are glitchy little dots like snow instead of it… I don't understand how you can't see that :S

Also present here
[external image: Posted Image]
Local disk D icon.

Do you mean the little bent arrow that indicates an icon is a shortcut? If so there several programs that will remove that, as well as manually editing the registry. Here is one: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm

TweakUI for XP is an easier way.

You can use either to restore the shortcut arrow. I like it without so always remove them.

That's for XP Ztruker, this comp has Win 7.
Can't run the TweakUI.
And on method 1 there's no shell icons key in the registry… there's ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers and it's empty.
Hi uchkur

The small curved arrow you are talking about is missing and there are glitchy little dots like snow instead of it… I don't understand how you can't see that :S

I could see it but did not understand that it was what you were concerned about…….as …..this is not a glitch..!
Showing the short cut arrow is optional… and obviously the owner of the machine had allowed the short cut arrows to be removed…
If you use (with the owners permission) the link that Ztruker provided you can adjust to your personal taste…

Some folks like the short cut arrows, others always remove them, some like default icons others always use their own choice (some even construct their own icons (its quite easy to do) whereas other folks (like me) do not feel that icons are important and rarely if ever use them…This flexibility in allowing folks to "customise" their working environment to their own personal taste, is a powerful feature of Windows that has contributed to its popularity.

Good luck and I hope you get it set up to your taste….. but as the computer is at a net cafe….it's possible that the owner has the machine "locked down" so that customers are unable to change certain system settings…. or if they do change them then the system will go back to its locked down position opon rebooting…..This is how most public type machines (net cafe) are/should be set up to prevent folks from making changes ( possibly unwelcome ones or even sometimes catastrophic ones!) on a permanent basis…
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI