This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Recover Windows 7 on New Hard Drive

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Gateway NV53A - http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV53A52u-Lap…#productDetails

It took a nice fall a few weeks back and the hard drive was done. I had created the recovery (repair?) disc when I first purchased the laptop. I went out and picked up a new hard drive, however instead of the original 500GB western digital that came with it, I got a 128GB Kingston SSD (Note: all my files are on an external and all of my gaming is done on a tower, so no need for the space). I have installed the new hard drive, and using the disc I created when I purchased the laptop I can start the computer and get it to System Recovery, however I am completely at a loss as to how to get windows 7 on to this hard drive, and if it is even possible for me to do so from the disc I have created. Please note that at the System Recovery Options box, there is no operating system listed. If I select to use a recovery tool, and select Recovery Management, the "Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults" and "Restore Operating System and "Retain User Data" options are not selectable.

I've spoken with Microsoft, who tell me my only option is to shell out for a new operating system since I replaced the hard drive. I spoke to Best Buy, who told me that the disc I have should be able to make it work, but that I can also buy a recovery disc from Gateway. After checking the Gateway site, I seem to be able to buy one for $20.

My question is first - Can the disc I created (Some kind of system restore/backup from my recollection) be used to recover the OS on the new hard drive? If so, is there anywhere I can find step by step guidance as to how? If not, is the Gateway $20 disc the solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, you guys are the best!

Chris
Does the SSD show up in BIOS setup?

Read here: How to Optimize an SSD / HDD When You're Ready to Reinstall the Operating System

Do you have a COA sticker on the laptop that has the product key on it? If so you can download a legal copy of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated from here: Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River.

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.
Sorry for the delay - I thought I would get an e-mail when a response came in. Thanks for the quick response! I do see the SSD in BIOS, however I was not able to do any of the prep described in the website because I had to just take out the hard drive after it broke and I just bought an SSD. I'll try downloading Windows 7 from the link you sent - I do have a COA sticker so I'll try the link below and let you know how it turns out. Thank you again for the suggestion!
I was able to download Windows 7 and put it on a disc, however my computer simply indicates 'no bootable device' whenever I try to start it. Is it possible to install windows on the SSD using the computer with only the SSD on it? Do I somehow need to connect it to my other computer just to install windows?
I should add, when I turn on the computer with the disc in it, I get the following message: Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v14.0.8 Copyright © 2000-2009 Broadcom Corporation Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation All rights reserved. PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM. No bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key Thanks again for your help!
Thanks again - I was able to get windows 7 on to my laptop! Now my only issue is missing drivers. I went to the Gateway website and downloaded all of the drivers for my laptop and transferred them using a USB, but they don't all seem to be taking. Further, I'm having issues getting my ethernet and network controllers running on the laptop. Is there a step I am missing by going direct to the gateway site for drivers? Are these no longer valid because my new hard drive won't have any preinstalled software from gateway? Would my repair disc I made for my original hard drive restore the software now that I have windows even though its a different hard drive? Thanks again for your help!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI