This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

new hard drive question

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I have to replace my hard drive and I can't get it to do a back up. I saved the files and programs I want but I can't get a complete back up. (system image) I was wondering if I could install the new hard drive and then hook the old one up via USB then transfer windows 7 some how?? Maybe do a system reinstall?? I'm worried about not being able to reinstall windows 7 as my laptop did not come with the disks. But I did make the windows recovery cds Thanks for you advice.
what is the make and model of your laptop?

the windows recovery cd's "should" put the new hard drive in exactly the same factory state the original hard drive was in when you purchased the pc, so yes they should install windows 7 on it along with everything else that was installed before the pc was purchased.

i'm curious tho, what's the reason for the new hard drive, did it fail and that's why you can't make an image of it?
what program did you use to try and create the image?

of course the best option(as long as everything is working correctly and that's not the reason for a new hard drive), so you'll keep everything as it is now is if you can find a way to make that image and then copy the image onto the new hard drive, but if for any reason you can't or the cd's won't work then you can always install win7 using this guide. :- http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-se…tml#post1300819

:popcorn:
Thanks, I have a Samsung r480 laptop. I have win 7 installed and I'm getting an error message that says my hard drive is about to crash and to backup it up but I have tried several times and it fails. I used the win 7 backup and I downloaded macrium but that failed it said there are errors on the disk
ok then making an image of a bad/failing hard drive is not what you want to do. so now i'd just install the new hard drive and run the recovery discs to install win7 and get everything back like new(make sure the cd is first boot option.), then it should be just a case of copying your data back along with re-installing all your programs. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI