This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cannot access anything on computer

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have really messed up my old system. While creating a new partition I accidently went ahead with the process before it was ready and then after that I ran the hiren boot cd and did something there and don't even remember what it was. But the bottom line is that now when I try to start the system it locks up on the screen where you can either go to the bios or the start drive. It won't do anything it just sits there. Can't use any of the emergency recover discs either. they never get the chance to load. Is there any way I can access the hard drive and recover the info so I can transfer it to my new computer? I now have an Acer 64bit, running Windows7 Home premium
Hey Bryan A,

When you try the recovery disks, did you make sure that your CD/DVD Drive had boot priority over the HDD?

If you have, then it sounds like your BIOS is stopping you from running anything. Either because it's corrupt or because of some other environmental issues. The boot.ini file on the new partition could also be corrupt.

If you're not too fussed about getting the system up and running again, then I suggest you simply take the old HDD out and put it into the new one :

1. Unplug your old machine and earth yourself. (This is important to stop electrostatic shocks).

2. Unscrew the screws on the case and remove the side panel.

3. Locate the HDD and take out the SATA cable and the SATA power cable. Make sure you unplug the SATA cable from your Motherboard too and keep hold of it.

4. Take out all the small screws holding the HDD.

5. Slide out the HDD and put it somewhere safe.

6. Replace the side panel and screw everything back in.

7. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for your new machine.

8. Locate the HDD bay and slide the old HDD in.

9. Use screws to keep it secure.

10. Plug in the SATA Power cable from the Power Unit.

11. Use the original SATA cable to connect the old HDD to the motherboard.


Start your new computer and head to the BIOS. You want to make sure that your HDD Priority shows that the old HDD is second on the list. When you boot up you may get a choice between Windows 7 and the other operating system. If the partition went bad, you probably won't get this though.

If all goes well and the integrity of the old HDD is fine you should be able to transfer your files from the working partition onto your new computer.
Thanks much Nahumi. i'm sure that the info yu gave will be what I need to do. there is one drawback, my wife is standing over the new computer w/ knife in hand daring me to touch anything inside of the case. LOL I guess I can find an old system and then do the switch on it but it will be awhile before I can do it. Once i've done as you request I 'll let you know what happens.
Yeah, that could be a bit of a problem. :P You could always try buying a External HDD Cabinet? You can usually pick one up for £20 / $30. That should allow you to plug it into your new machine via USB. Anyway, good luck!
Hi Bryan A,
As well as the excellent advice provide by Nahumi, if you want to try and use your old machine to copy off any available important files from your old hard drive you could try this:
The idea is to use a Linux self contained operating system running purely in memory (usually referred to as Live) to access your hard drive and copy off anything that is undamaged….on it…… I stress that's undamaged…..it seems that you have been using some powerful tools to change some fundamental things on your hard drive…….and its easy using partitioning tools to "mangle" your files so that nothing short of dedicated (and therefore relatively time consuming and costly) recovery procedures might be needed. However if your files are undamaged then here's how to do it.
The following is taken from a tutorial I prepared some time ago, but if you follow all the steps its an easy procedure to do and doesn't take long….
Good luck with it!

Linux Puppy backup
Back up when you can't boot into Windows
A.) Please take the opportunity now to bring your back up/archive/copy of all your important stuff 100% up to date, check that it's accurate, reproducible and held securely on removable media (not your hard drive)……
the idea here is to ensure that all your important data, files, spreadsheets, work, music, emails, log in details, user names, address book, drivers, letters, invoices, videos etc….in fact everything that is important to you (stuff that you would not like to permanently lose) is kept safe on external media. I recommend the use of a USB external hard drive for this.
Whilst you are doing this, collect together all your application installation discs (or downloaded installation executables) serial numbers, product licence keys (including the one for Windows itself and the Microsoft Windows installation disc and or Manufacturer's Restore and Driver/utilities discs.
If you have made a "disc image" using Paragon, Acronis, Ghost or one of the free disc imaging alternatives then keep this image safe also on removable media, verify it for correctness and reproducibility and ensure you have made a bootable CD/DVD for use in the event that Windows will not start.

Now here's the detailed instructions on how to download Puppy and burn it as an image.
B.) Download Linux Puppy from here:
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=…t%20Release.htm
Its a download of only about 100MB, so a broadband connection is advisable for the download… Puppy is an alternative operating system….. it does not need Windows to run, and the licence to use it is free of charge and comes included automatically. It is different in its interface from Windows, but sufficiently intuitive for most folks to use it successfully without problem.
C.) Burn the iso (that you have downloaded) to CD ROM as an "image"…it must be as an image, a copy will not work!……..Imgburn is good for this, available from here:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
NOTE by following this procedure you will have created a "self contained" operating system" (Linux Puppy and a bootable CD ROM all in one!
D.) Switch on your "original" computer and Set Bios to Boot from CD as first priority…on most Dells it's F2 to enter the Bios (set up) otherwise try F12, Esc or Delete.On some older Compaqs and HP's try F1
NOTE you will need to press the appropriate key (to enter the Bios) immediately after power on.
Your hard drive should be next in priority followed by USB/network if the settings provide these options. Remember to save your altered settings in the Bios before exiting
E.) With your external back up media plugged in to a USB port I.E. External USB hard drive, flash drive etc and the Linux Puppy CD ROM inserted into the CD drive, close down your machine and:
F.) Boot from the CD, you may get a message to "press any key to continue booting from CD" so allow this, Now follow the on-screen Linux Puppy prompts (remember don't install it) let it run in memory, it will be quite happy doing so, and will allow you access to your Hard drive so you can copy off to your external media anything you need. You will soon get used to Puppy and you'll find that you will be able to use the Internet and do most things that you want to do. However as you need to back up your files, I suggest you concentrate on copying off your important stuff first.If you are not experienced with using Linux then an easy way to copy files is to open windows of both the C drive from which you want to copy stuff and also your flash/USB drive, and then just use "drag and drop". Puppy will provide full support for USB drives and you should soon find you get the hang of things/i]

Regards
paws

Thanks to both of you. I guess I didn't really let you know what happens when I try and reboot my old system. Even though I know the bios was set to load from cd first and I have the Hiren boot cd and have tried it out to make sure it worked, and it did. It would boot from the cd when I started the computer up. After I messed it all up my computer will not boot from a cd or usb device. I've tried to enter the bios set up (f2) and or the drive sequence (f10) neither will work it starts and then goes straight to the windows XP screen were it offers the f2 or f10 option but neither work nor does f8 for safe boot. No matter what I do, hold down the key from the moment I start it up or whatever I can't stop it b4 it reaches that XP screen and stops right there. Very weird. I'm afraid that I've done something that would cost me quite a bit of money to repair and that is why I went ahead and bought a new system. I was hoping that there would be some little known trick to retrieve my data and files. Alas my hopes seem to be ill founded. But I will continue to travel the paths of the deep web in hopes I'll find some answer, or I'll meet a guru at the local Starbucks who will enlighten me. Actually this last option is not that far fetched because I live in Silicon Valley area. (Redwood City, Menlo park). once again Thank You both very much for the advice.
Hi, i understand…
The 3 main options are the 2 outlined by Nahumi…….ie.connect the old hard drive to a different machine, or use a USB caddy they are available on ebay for a pound or two or a dollar or four, or to use something like a Linux disc to copy off your stuff ( Puppy for example)

In the case of PUppy you will need to get your machine so that it boots from the CD……….enter the BIOS, called "set up" on some machines, and alter the boot prioity to 1 CD/DVD and then 2 your other CD/DVD drive (if you have two) and 3 your first hard drive (That will be called Hard drive 0) the rest are not too important at this stage……the important thing is to have the CD drives in priority to anything else!
Before exiting the BIOS you must save the changes……there is usually a special key for this (often) F10 but there will be a "follow on" menu that spells it out.
Your machine should, once you exit the BIOS restart itself….. you will /should be able to boot from the CD….
If it doesn't then :
1 you have not set the BIOS correctly and saved the changes
or
2 You have a hardware failure in your CD/DVD drives
or
3 Your CD that you are using is not bootable
4 You have some other hardware failure.

The most likely cause is incorrect setting of the BIOS…….you could try resetting the BIOS to "default" sometimes called "normal "or "conservative" or something similar and resetting the boot priority on top of this……then remember to save the changes on exiting!
Good luck
Regards
paws
Hi Paws, I cannot enter the bios at all. No matter what I do, press F2- nothing works to allow me to enter bios set up..It looks like i'll have to go the route of removing the drive and putting it into another machine and then seeing what happens.
Hi Yes if you cant get into the BIOS or boot from a CD then putting it in another machine or using a caddy maybe the best option Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI