countyline
Topic Starter
Hello,
I have a 4 year old Gateway 505GR desktop. It's alway been a great pc and now I don't know what's going on.
A couple of times, after disconnecting from the internet but leaving my computer on, a black screen would come up and say:
REBOOT OR INSERT BOOT DISK
I would reboot, get the Gateway splash screen, then instead of going to windows I would get the "safe mode" screen. From which I would choose "last good configuration that worked" and then my computer would go into Windows XP and everything would be fine. Then one day I recieved the "reboot" screen again… so I thought maybe if I use my Gateway restore DVD this might help. This DVD is the only disc I recieved with my computer when I bought it new. Now I know that by using it, it will erase all my data and reload all my settings and drivers and programs back to factory. I have used this disc before and it had worked well. I'm not worried about losing any data, 'cause all the important stuff i have already saved on a disc.
This is where the problem get's worse.
I put the DVD in and rebooted. The Symantec Ghost 7.5 screen comes up like it should and begins to do it's thing. However the speed and the amount of data being transfered is very low… actually it seem as if nothing is really happening at all. The progress bar shows nothing being done and then I'm giving an message that says:
GHOSTERR.TXT
and it asked me to insert a disc that I don't have and then select "yes or no"
Since after trying to run this DVD, when ever I turn my computer on, it goes to a black screen that says:
NTLDR MISSING
and it will not do anything else. I have never be givin the "REBOOT OR INSERT REBOOT DISC" message and I cannot get into safe mode any more. I can go to my BIOS screen when rebooting but I not sure that i'm seeing anything wrong.
I've been searching the internet for the last week in my spare time on my girlfriends computer (which I'm on right now) and have been seeing lots of stuff that just doesn't seem to get me any where. Curious though, I was able to get to an A:\ prompt, but I could never get to a C:\ prompt. I believe the problem I'm having when I try to run my restore DVD is not the program or the disc itself but it's because it can't run correctly with what ever the problem is with my computer.
I have kept this computer stock from the factory. The only things I have added were Windows Office (added over a year ago), Spybot and Ad-aware SE (both have been on for some time now). I have no viruses that I'm aware of. I took the side panel off and checked for loose connections and did not see anything out of the ordinary. I do not hear any "clicks or beeps" when turning the computer on or rebooting.
It acts like either my hard drive isn't working right. At least this is the only idea I can come up with.
I need some one to point in the right direction of what I need to look at or be looking for.
Any help would be great.
thanks