This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Linkskey router

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got a linsky router E1200. Wireless N300 router. When I hooked it up to my compute, which is a dell windows 7 I got internet sometimes and not other times. It wouldn't even go off the first page. So I can't really use the router because it louses up my computer, so don't know what to do. As soon as I unplugged the router, my computer worked find. I also CANNOT get the router to work with my nexus 7 tablet. I know the tablet works because I used it at my daughters yesterday with her hot spot. The purpose of getting the router was so I could work my nexus 7 tablet. I remember years ago using a router and it wreaked havoc on my computer, slowed it down. Was miserable. Finally got rid of it. I have windows 7. I also just looked up my router on google and it is not a very good router, so I might get a better one, but I want to make sure it works too. Its just that the range is short, but I am right by my computer now and it doesn't work. I want the tablet, but don't know if it is worth the trouble. Any ideas besides returning all of it and saying forget it?????
first thing to do is calm down and not get despondent.. :D by the way what do you think of the nexus 7? i've decided to buy two as presents for members of my family. ;) lets stick with this router and see if we can get things working to your satisfaction before deciding whether it needs returning and getting a new one. only one problem, i'm not very good at problem solving network issues, so i'm hoping one of wtt's more experienced techs will join in and help. :blush: ok lets start at the beginning, turn off the modem, the router and the pc, then connect the router to the modem and pc to the router, making sure the connections are correct. now start the modem first, wait for 3 minutes, then turn on the router, again wait 3 minutes, then turn on your pc. always leave the modem and router on, from now on. with any luck your pc should work and connect to the internet ok, but if not, not to worry we'll run some tests later and see exactly what is going on. can you find out the exact make and model of your modem, so i can google it and find out if that's where the problems may be first tho, before we start doing anything else. at the moment i'm thinking the problem may be with your isp and we might need to clone the mac address of your pc to the router before things will work trouble free, but i don't know how to test if that's needed without actually doing it and seeing if that will solve any connection problems. :popcorn:
Hi I think your family would love the nexus. It is very clear and sharp and plenty big enuf, you don't need the 10". I did get the router to work. Don't know what I did, got up this morning and it saidit was connected, so we shall see.
:clap:

so both the pc and nexus are connected and working now?
that's great news, i didn't realise my network problem solving skills were that good.. :rofl:

must admit i'm glad your happy with the nexus and weren't disappointed in the screen size, i know you had reservations if the 7" version would be big enough.

ordered 2 today so should get them in a couple of days, then of course i'll have to open the one for my dad so i can set everything up for him ready to use on christmas day, well that's my excuse for having a play with it for a while.. :rofl:

found this link that might help you set some things up and choose some apps to start with while your getting used to it.. :- http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets…-tips-50008943/

:popcorn:
I tried to install the rotate app and it wouldn't work. I did it before you gave me the list. I installed it and it may be worked 2 out of 10 times. I would really like that app, but when I went to my site to do it and it said there was no device. I downloaded it right from the device then, and then in installed but as I said hardly worked. That is one of the features I really wanted too. Keep me updated if you find cool games. That is mainly what I want it for. Facebook and email is kind of hard to read because it is a different format than I am used too, but that wasn't my main concern for getting it.
This is the router I got Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router. There were two other ones suggested on this site. I think one you suggested had 3 antennas sticking up. Is that preferential to one that has non, like mine? Mine is working right now. Things are on sale here because of Thanksgiving holiday, which I don't think you have in the UK. So I would rather spend a few extra bucks if it is going to give me a super duper router with NO problems to my computer. Mine was $44. The router I had about 10 years ago slowed down my computer so much it was horrible. Finally did away with the router and my daughter couldn't use her laptop anymore! :huh:
But I just had to write and tell you because I was so excited. I was googling something for the nexus and all I came across were absolutely positive comments about it. Saying it was the very best. That Google went all out with their technology and processors and left nothing out, and then all this technical stuff. But it sure made me feel good. I was going to buy a kindle last year and I am glad I didn't. So thought you might like to know what a good product you will be getting. Not everything is on the Nexus, but there is an app for everything!!!
Good luck.
Oh yeah, there is not a manual with the router, but there is a 90 page manual online that you can read and do things as needed. It is all indexed very nicely. I think even I can figure it out. You can format and set up your nexus anyway you want. Pretty cool.
your router has the Ariel built into it (just for the record so does the one i'm using, unlike yours tho it's not n rated.) no i don't think it's worth spending more money and buying another router especially if that one works ok.
here's one review that says your new router is the best they've tested at the price. :- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383274,00.asp

glad your happy with the nexus, from what i read in a link i posted in your original thread the screen rotates in the apps just not on the menu screen, because it's turned off, here's the link again.

Rotate screen from portrait to landscape. My Nexus 7 arrived with screen rotation disabled, so I went to Settings -> Display … but there was no way to enable rotation. It turns out that you've got to swipe down from the top bar to access the notification pulldown "shade," then tap the little icon with the lock and arrows around it.


http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-…-nexus-7-tablet

yes i bought a kindle for my mum last year and she loves it, so this year i'll make sure one of the apps i put on my dads nexus is the kindle app.

neither nexus is for me but at least now i know both my dad and daughter are going to be happy with their gifts, thanks to your positive comments. :thumbup:

just glad your happy with the choice we made together and that your enjoying it so much. :woot:

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI