This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Router doesn't connect after firmware update

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Laptop: HP dv7 with windows 7

Linksys: E2500 router

 

My co worker's linksys e2500 router has been acting sluggish and dropping connections.  I asked them if they had the most up to date firmware installed.  They did not.  I printed out the step by step instructions for them from the support page of Linksys.  All was going well until it asked them to set up the router again after completing (?) the process.  They could not get in using any of their own passwords and the default ones also did not work.

 

I was confused by the final steps of the firmware upgrade:  after the reboot of the laptop after the successful upgrade it asks you to press and hold the reset button on the router for 10 seconds.  (That is supposed to restore the router to factory settings isn't it?)  I tried to walk them through going connecting wired and resetting up the router over the phone last night but we were unable to get them to the 192.168……. page.  when they were wired directly from the modem to the computer they could surf but still not get to that page.. It kept timing out.  It did not even give them the option to login into it.

 

I have not physically seen what is happening and cannot yet determin one way or the other if in fact the router was upgraded, upgraded and somehow reset or just reset to factory defaults.

 

Barring paying linksys tech or purchasing a new modem, does anyone have any insights as to how I may help them?

 

Thank you for your time….

Hi mickey7 ,

It sounds as though your co-worker  may have left their modem plugged in to their router, when they attempted to get to the router log in page, or that they had not connected an Ethernet cable twixt their router and computer……. or maybe both!….. I think it would be wise to ask them to do a recheck that they have followed the directions correctly.

 

The default user name on the router log in page is best left blank with no characters typed in and the default password is usually

admin

they should try logging into their router using the following address typed into the address bar of their browser( whilst they are connected with Ethernet cable twixt their router and computer, and with their modem disconnected from their router)

 

http://192.168.1.1

and press Enter

 

If this doesn't get them in then try:

 

http://192.168.0.1

or

http://192.168.2.1 or

http://192.168.1.1 again!

 

If still no joy then resetting the router again ( to defaults will be the next step)

If still no joy then try a different router

Lets us know how things go

Regards

paws

Thank you for the responses Administrator andTomk.  I brought them a new cable at work and we were able to SLOWLY get them back up and running.  I had hem do a manual configuration while wired and reset their wireless settings.  The moment of truth came and at first they almost got panic because it asked them for the network key on reboot.  I explained what that was and that if they didn't want to see that again they would have to make sure it was set to connect automatically.

 

Thanks again, you and this site have always been so helpful.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI