This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 8

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I presently have Windows 7. Do you know if Windows 8 is that much better. For an upgrade it is only $39. To upgrade, would you have to do a clean install where you have to put back all your files and programs? Thanks.
Windows 8 is pretty good IMHO but it is more for the touch screen or tablet style systems. I have been using the BETA version since its release a couple of months ago and like it a lot. The beginning interface named metro is a pain in mu opinion and the lack of a start button in windows was easily remedied with a 3rd party program. I enjoy it a lot but others don't like it. It performs just like Win7 and honestly unless you want the newest OS I see no reason to upgrade. Purchase the upgrade to have but installation right now isn't needed. It is a upgrade so installing it should keep your programs and data safe. As a precaution I would suggest backing up anything important just in case.

Do you know if Windows 8 is that much better.

That depends on what you mean by better. Faster? More secure? Able to support more hardware? Run more software? Not really - unless you count portable devices.

The problem - or issue if not a problem is the desktop or UI - the user interface. It is drastically different from what we are used to. And like all things different, humans typically don't like - until they get used to it - then we wonder what all the fuss was about.

For me, I will not be upgrading any of my current systems to Windows 8. I don't see the point. But most likely all my new builds, once W8 goes final and the dust settles, will get W8.
Windows 8 - the biggest challenge is how to get back to Windows 7. Honestly, if you thought about buying an Apple - nows the time. There is absolutely no sense in going through this with Microsoft, yet again.
Created for tablets and smart phones. A Post-desktop and cloud duo future is coming and is already here for many users. For any desktop user, I'd give W8 a year or two. "Early adopters" are seldom rewarded in anything PC.
thanks for your advise. I do tend to what the highest of everything, but since I am still getting used to Windows 7, I think I will stick with it. Thanks.

thanks for your advise. I do tend to what the highest of everything, but since I am still getting used to Windows 7, I think I will stick with it. Thanks.

And I think that is good strategy - for now.

I note many, me included, did not migrate to Vista from XP because Vista was so dramatically different and XP still met all our needs. And Vista did not live up to all the hype - not helping Microsoft's agenda. And that was fine for us users - for a few years even because a properly maintained XP system could be properly secured, and our programs (and hw) still worked.

But time marched on, badguys got smarter, and the world passed XP. Hardware makers - WAY ahead of the software industry - were 64-bit ready. RAM and disk space got dirt cheap. Internet connections were no longer the bottleneck. Users started needing and demanding more horsepower - and a stable platform to run them on.

Vista 2.0… err, I mean Windows 7 came out (3 years ago this month) and proved itself to be the best Windows OS yet - perhaps the best OS period - especially the 64-bit version and everything changed. XP is history and needs to go away. It was designed over a decade ago for a computing environment long passed.

For those of us who never learned Vista, Windows 7 presented a bit of a learning curve, but it really did not take long to acclimate to it and now XP seem archaic and clumsy. Certainly slow.

I hope Windows 8 is not the new Vista and we don't have to wait for Window 8 V2.0 to really supplant W7.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI