This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

backing up bookmarks in firefox windows 7

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How do I backup bookmarks in firefox windows 7? I know I can do it on the external drive (I think), but I have over a couple hundred bookmarks and really don't want to lose them. I am sure alot are duplicates that I should clean out. If Imaduke (sp) is still here, can you help? Thanks
I did try googling it and looking in forums for it. I don't think I looked in this one. The ones I did try, when opened it looked like jibberish, so you can't say its from lack of trying, just lack of knowing. I will give this one a shot. Thanks Lee
I did do that, but then I had no way of opening a .json file, so then looked around some more for a different file extension with no luck and quit for the night. I did back it up in documents, but I cannot open it and would not know how to restore without being able to open!
Hi Patti,

No, you cannot open your Firefox Bookmarks .json files and nor can I open my Opera bookmarks .adr files, but I can assure you those files contain our respective backed-up bookmarks.

Firefox bookmarks can be seen again when they are imported into any version of Firefox, just as Opera browser bookmarks can be seen again when they are imported back into any version of Opera.

If you ever have to un-install Firefox for some reason those Bookmark.adr files can be imported back into Firefox and then you will see them again.

If you want to be able to open and read your backed-up bookmark files, you export them as HTML files, not .adr files.
I can do the same in Opera. Once open, you can double-click on any of your HTML bookmarks to go to that site. Just double-click on the saved HTML bookmarks image and they will open and all be there.

If you ever decide that you want to start using another browser for some reason, you must back-up your bookmarks as HTML files, not .json files. Only a Firefox browser can import .json bookmark files, they cannot be imported into another type of browser, but HTML bookmark files can.

See here Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks


Cheers,
Lee

PS edit for added info.

when I do the image backup weekly are the bookmarks getting backed up then?


Personally, when I back-up my own bookmarks, I back them up to a folder I have created named "Opera bookmarks". I generally delete the old ones and just keep the latest bookmark backup. Where you keep the folder is up to you. My Documents isn't a bad idea, but anywhere you like really.

When I do a Reflect ISO image back-up, those bookmarks are also being backed up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI