This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

duplicate bookmarks

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was trying to organize my bookmarks since I have a couple hundred and somehow it ended up that I have multiple copies of those bookmarks, but they are not all together, which it makes it near impossible to delete. Isn't there some sort of program that does that. I know I had one for photos which was great. I have the latest version of firefox on windows 7
Oh,, I have that. I used it for pictures. Which file type would I check? I have it for pictures which I have 5 or more of after cleaning up the computer, don't know why. So is there a way to just check for bookmarks?
Well ya know, I love the computer and everything, but I certainly have to work for it ^_^ . I went to the link and it does not work with my version of Firefox 14.0, only lower versions. Were you not able to figure out how to use the duplicate file finder, because I couldn't. Thanks Lee.

Well ya know, I love the computer and everything, but I certainly have to work for it ^_^ . I went to the link and it does not work with my version of Firefox 14.0, only lower versions. Were you not able to figure out how to use the duplicate file finder, because I couldn't. Thanks Lee.



I can't work out how to use the add-on, or any other Firefox add-on for that matter, as I don't use Firefox (as you already know) and never have (which you didn't know), so looking for the definitive answer to your problem can go no further than Google for me.

Try going here as surely the answer exists there Patti.

Cheers,
Lee
Been there, done that!! The only ones suitable for FF have been erased. Guess they didn't work so pretty good, huh? My bookmarks are in there 4 times. I wish I could grap a couple at a time and delete, but it won't let me do that, only one at a time. I can do it manually at my leisure. Thanks Lee
just hold down the Ctrl button and click on each and everyone you want to delete, when they are all highlighted just right click and delete them. (this method works for deleting multiple items anywhere, not just in firefox.) :popcorn:
Ok, I did find a duplicate file finder that works on file types and is a non-install tiny program.

SearchMyFiles

Just export your Firefox bookmarks as HTML files to a folder and then target the folder as I have done here (next to "Base folders", browse to the folder) with my Opera HTML bookmarks. Ignore all the other stuff on the page and Click on "search". Remove the duplicate files.

📎ScreenClip000006.jpg

Return to Firefox and delete all bookmarks and then import your cleaned up HTML bookmarks from the backup folder :thumbup:


Cheers,
Lee

PS. Be very cautious and specific (choose one folder only and never a Windows folder) when using duplicate file finders, especially for photos and never search for duplicate windows OS files or a general search of C: :pullhair:

just hold down the Ctrl button and click on each and everyone you want to delete, when they are all highlighted just right click and delete them. (this method works for deleting multiple items anywhere, not just in firefox.)

:popcorn:


This is what I have always done, but believe it or not, it doesn't work with bookmarks!!!!!

Ok, I did find a duplicate file finder that works on file types and is a non-install tiny program.

SearchMyFiles

Just export your Firefox bookmarks as HTML files to a folder and then target the folder as I have done here (next to "Base folders", browse to the folder) with my Opera HTML bookmarks. Ignore all the other stuff on the page and Click on "search". Remove the duplicate files.

[attachment removed]

Return to Firefox and delete all bookmarks and then import your cleaned up HTML bookmarks from the backup folder :thumbup:


Cheers,
Lee


When I clicked on your "Search my files" this is the error message I got……"Firefox can't find the server at "%20%20 PS. Be very cautious and specific (choose one folder only and never a Windows folder) when using duplicate file finders, especially for photos and never search for duplicate windows OS files or a general search of C: :pullhair:

I have gone up to bookmarks on my toolbar and tried to sort the bookmarks alphabetical. They look alphabetical in the little gray box they show you, but when you go to your actual bookmark icon - they are not alphabetical. They don't stay alphabetical.📎bookmark_organizer.PNG It's no big deal, would just be easier to clean up the rest of them now and easier to find what I want since Ihave so many

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI