This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Desktop icons in picture folder

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have my desktop items in my picture library. If I try to move them or delete them, it deletes the item from the desktop. I don't know how they got there or how to get rid of them. Idon't know what that is on the right hand side, don't worry about that..📎desktop.PNG
Is it possible that you or someone has changed the "target" of the folder where desktop items are stored? ________________________________________ Using Windows Explorer (computer) Have a look in: Computer > C:\ > Users > (your username) > In the displayed list, "right-click" on > Desktop > select "Properties" Now you should be looking at the Desktop Properties panel Click on the "Location" tab What address appears in the Address Box?
C:\Users\Patty\Desktop This happened while we were getting rid of the virus which took a lot of work and then I noticed the icons were in there. That is really all the info I have on it. Satfran(???) didn't know what happened and said he wasn't real versed on it, to talk to someone who was. I guess they can stay in there it doesn't hurt anything. But I am sure they belong somewhere else.
Yes. You are correct on both parts of your statement. #1 They don't usually go in that Folder #2 There is no harm in leaving them there, since the "target" for saving them is directed to that Folder. And, no. I don't know how this may have occurred. If everything is working fine with your Desktop Icons appearing as you wish, then just leave it as is. Best Regards
My computer is working great thanks to your team - it is fantastic. I donated some money, wish it could have been more. I am a funny bunny though, I need to know "why" something is, so why are the icons there, bugs me, and I just have to take a deep breath and say "it's allright", and it is because I sure wouldn't want to louse up anything. Thanks Doug, Patti
As I was looking for a document, I was going through my libraries. I have pictures in my "layout" file. documents in my picture file, etc….. everything is all mixed up. Not just the one folder I told you about. Is this okay, will it slow down my computer or do anything. Yeah its going to be hard to find anything, like the document I am looking for, but it is so messed up I am afraid to do anything with it. Waddya think?
My real-life physical Desk is cluttered. Someone else sitting down at my Desk would no doubt perform the forhead smack gesture…. :smack: But I am familiar where everything is. Computers are sometimes similar to their real-life counterparts. Someone else might sit down and immediately decide to reorganize all of your saved files to suit their sense of organization. Then, if you were to subsequently sit down at your computer, you might scream because you would no longer be familiar with where stuff is. ____________________ Sure, you can move stuff around if you wish. But I have occasionally, in real-life, placed something for safe-keeping in a spot where I was certain it would be safe but easily found by me. Then later, I've had a devil of a time trying to find the darn thing. Sometimes, I even find things when I'm not looking for them and have the experience of: "Oh, that's where I put that." Bottom-line…. It's up to you. Advice… I'd take it slow and not make enormous changes all at once.
You are funny. I just sat down to the computer and as I did, I looked at my desk and thought "Patti, clean this carp** up". There are papers and receipts everywhere. and then I open your post. Too funny. I too will say, I am going to put this where I won't forget it", never to be seen again. You realize it's always at the last place you look ;) Thanks for the advice, I was hoping you would say that. My computer is running so nice, so what I can't find anything!!!! I was looking for my notes of how to back up my computer. So I had to go back to the forum on it and look it up NOW its where I won't lose it. Thanks Doug for the laugh, Patti
For the record… my sons is perhaps a bit "odd". (Quite frankly, I think he is a freak of nature). For some reason he has always hated that saying. Therefore, he makes it a point to always look in at least two more places after he finds something. I'm sure he gets these "peculiarities" from his mother (or maybe grandmother).

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI