This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

moving desktop icons

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It seems every time I install a new programme, the desktop icons move wherever they please. In windows xp I was able to put them where I wanted them to be, so each type of icon was in a cluster, so to speak, e.g. music, security etc and they stayed there. After a programme was installed I moved the icon to the appropriate place on the desktop and that was that. Is there a way to keep desktop icons where I put them so they don't move about in windows 7 after an install. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hello hedley93, It's probably because Windows 7 is set to "auto arrange" the icons. Just right-click your desktop, go to view and untick "Auto arrange icons". Hope that helps, Nahumi
I use a program called DesktopOK to control icon placement in Windows 7. In XP I used Iconoid.

It allows me to save the icon layout then when I boot it automatically puts them back where I want them (can also do it at any time while booted).

I prefer my icons around the edges and DesktopOK keeps them that way.

📎MyDesktop.jpg
Nahumi, thanks for the reply. Auto arrange icons is already unticked. Ztrucker, thanks for the reply. I have noted your programme and will try it. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated, as always. :thumbup: hedley
Is it possible that it set to arrange according to:
  • Date Created
  • Size
  • Name

Any of these ticked when you look at the instructions from post 2?
Thanks for the reply. Checked and none of those mentioned are ticked. I just tried 'item type' and it almost worked. Some icons of the same type are together, but there are still a few strays. Thanks for the help. hedley

I use a program called DesktopOK to control icon placement in Windows 7. In XP I used Iconoid.

It allows me to save the icon layout then when I boot it automatically puts them back where I want them (can also do it at any time while booted).

I prefer my icons around the edges and DesktopOK keeps them that way.

[attachment removed]


Man forget about them icons, I rather be sitting on that rock looking at that sunset or sunride, nice.

Jimbo1
Unless I am mistaken,Windows 7 does not allow you to drag and drop icons, within your document library, for example. I believe you need a program such as Ztrucker has suggested. I tried that program and was not successful;it it was not the programs fault. I just could not figure it out.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI