This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing, disappearing folder thumbnails

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've created the same thread on this forum, so read here as well.

Hello

I have a weird problem that started happening few weeks ago.
This only happens to the folders on the Desktop.
The thumbnails that are shown on the folder, example, well they simply disappear (it changes to a normal folder like icon) if I add a new file to the folder, regardless of the type (picture, video, txt doc, exe etc) or even if I delete or cut a file from that folder to another folder. It's like the folders have a certain memory of itself and a slight change messes up the thumbnails.

I have tried uninstalling the last few software applications I've installed but the problem still persists.
I have tried deleting the hidden system file desktop.ini but nothing.

Again, this only happens to the folders on the Desktop.
A possible solution might be creating a new user account but I'm not willing to do that and searching for alternatives.

Thumbnails inside the folders work flawlessly.
Looks to me like you are being well taken care of by UsernameIssues at sevenforums.com. I'd like to close this thread, any objections?
Well yeah I'm being taken care of there but perhaps someone from this forum can shed light as well. Better let it open for a while.
I'll leave it open but it's normally frowned on to look for assistance in more then one forum for the same problem. If the other thread dies out then no problem, but otherwise, in tennis speak :D it's considered "Bad form".
Well in my thinking it shouldn't be frowned upon. That frowning mainly comes from malware removal threads, which I understand and I do agree there shouldn't be threads for same problem on different forums but only when it comes to malware. Because obviously things can get a lot more messier with malware. What are the arguments when it comes to non malware? Anyway since I'm kinda fed up with my problem, you can close this thread.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI